Monday, July 16, 2012

What I Learned On My Honeymoon

Now that I'm back from my week in paradise, I thought I'd blog about some of the things I learned on my Honeymoon...

1. Honeymoons are IMPORTANT.
I knew that my husband and I were going to have an amazing time on our honeymoon, but I had NO IDEA how important the time was that we spent together. It was so great having time to ourselves with no connection to the outside world (we didn't even have internet at our resort, and our cell phones were turned off the entire time). It was like we were getting to know each other all over again, and I know realize the immense value that "honeymoons" have on a couple. :)






2. Get to know the people.
I never thought that we would meet so many awesome people on our honeymoon. It started with meeting a fantastic waiter at the buffet named Oscar our first night. We talked to Oscar and got to know a little more about him, and it felt wonderful getting to know the people who were working on our resort.  The following night, we headed up to one of the bars in our resort (it was called the "sports bar" since it had T.V.'s) and met the best bartender of all time named Carlos. No one else was in the bar, and Kolby and I found ourselves laughing and chatting with Carlos all night. Soon, we found out his schedule and planned our days around which bar Carlos would be bar tending at. We definitely made a new friend in Carlos, and he helped me with my Spanish while making us delicious drinks and making us laugh. Speaking of Spanish...



3. Know the language (or make an attempt).
Kolby and I both only took two years of Spanish in high school, and didn't realize how much Spanish we actually remembered until we arrived in Cancun. Although we knew only a few phrases and words (and have terrible accents), you could tell that the people on our resort were very pleased that we were making an attempt to speak Spanish whenever possible. I was even able to carry on a conversation with one of the bartenders by our last night! 

4. No plan is a good plan.
We had zero plans for our Honeymoon (other than relaxing). We thought about doing some of the excursions, and kept an open-mind, but it was absolutely exhilarating to wake up every day with absolutely no plans. If there is one work that describes me, it's that I'm a planner with a capital P. However, I had no problems waking up and enjoying wherever the day took my husband and I.






5. Making new friends is fun.
During our third night at the resort, Kolby and I watched a man at the table next to us propose to his girlfriend! We were so excited for complete strangers (and naturally the "just married" couple in us came out)! We ended up seeing them the next day at the pool, and soon we were making plans to have dinner together! They were from Manchester, England, and we had so many laughs discussing the differences between the United States and England. It was so unexpected to make such great friends while we were on vacation, but Keiron, Rachel, their ADORABLE three year old daughter Cora, and Rachel's brother Steven and his girlfriend Charlea were such great company. We had a blast traveling to downtown Cancun with them, and exchanged email addresses before we left.




6. On vacations, step outside the box!
The anonymity of being on a resort makes people a tad more...shall I say...daring. The fact that hardly anyone knows you makes you a little more fearless. I joined a darts tournament and actually WON and was later called onstage at our resort's theatre to participate in a belly dance competition...much to my surprise! (I took second by the way lol). Needless to say, I definitely stepped outside my comfort zone on our trip, but the results were definitely worth it.


My darts diploma :)

During the belly dancing competition!

7. Enjoy every minute.
Spending seven glorious nights in Mexico with my husband is an experience we will never forget. We found ourselves saying things like, "Can you believe we're here?" every day. It was nice to enjoy every single second...and I can't wait to go back someday!




Oh, I wish I was back there now...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...