Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Post Most People Won't Understand

Why I'm Ready To Go Back To School


I'm not afraid to admit it.

I'm ready to go back to school! Yes, I know many teachers out there are grumpily waking up and checking their calendars, groaning at the declining days of summer vacation. Me? I'm almost giddy with excitement.

I get such a thrill out of this time of the year. The back to school sales, Tax Free Weekend here in Missouri, buying new borders for my bulletin boards, re-vamping my classroom website, checking our school's attendance system every other day to see if my rosters are up...I love it.

Here are some of the reasons I can't wait for this school year to begin:

1. R-O-U-T-I-N-E

I'm a creature of habit. I thrive on schedules, planning, and routines. Although I loved having absolutely zero plans during my honeymoon, I love the routine of the school year. I sure don't like waking up at 5:00 every day, but there is something about having a schedule that I definitely miss during the summer months.

2. New Kiddies

I usually can't sleep the night before sixth grade registration. I am so amped with energy to meet my new kids, and I love meeting them for the first time while they are picking up their schedules. It feels like Christmas morning to me! :)

3. A New Room

Re-doing my classroom every year is such an important time for me to reflect, re-vamp, and re-do my classroom. I love dreaming up new possibilities for classroom management and classroom design. Having a different classroom every year makes me feel like I am truly "starting over."

There are probably a hundred more reasons why I can't wait for the school year to start, but those are just a few. I can't believe I will be starting my FIFTH year of teaching this August. Where has the time gone? I still feel like it's year one and I'm giddy over labeling my classroom pencils. I guess that's a good thing. :)


11 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY understand!! I'm ready to start over, start fresh, and learn from my teaching from last year. Bring on 2012-2013!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not alone! I miss all that you mentioned and then some! My philosophy has always been to treat the first day of school as if it's your first day of your teaching career. I think that is why I haven't burned out after 30 years of teaching! lol
    I am a new follower of your blog plus a Newbie of just 5 days. Like I mentioned I have been teaching for 30 years. I am a Special Education teacher located in South Jersey. This year I will be teaching one subject for the first time!!! I am soo excited about that and it happens to be one of my favorite things to teach, Literacy!
    So if you get a chance check out my blog Teise's Tidbits.
    Looking forward to reading future posts.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Following you now! I can't wait to read more!

      Delete
  3. I'm with you! I couldn't wait to get back into my classroom! Heck, I spent 4 hours in my 93 degree classroom today simply because I couldn't wait for it to cool down!

    Laura
    Will Grade For Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love going back to school! It's probably why I have a cabinet overflowing with school supplies along with all the Target, WalMart, and Dollar Tree bags all over the house (and no kids at home)! I also have trouble sleeping the night before school starts and I've been teaching for over 20 years! I'm your newest follower! I love science so much, that I'm always signing up for local science PDs!

    Mary
    Teaching Special Kids

    ReplyDelete
  5. New follower here! It's always wonderful to hear about other teachers who are actually excited to go back. I'm not finding too much of that at my school! If you get a chance, I'd love for you to pop on by my blog for a visit!

    Kristin
    Teaching In A Nutshell

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love polk-a-dots...and really love what you have done with your desk and file cabinet! I am a new follower. I'd like to pass along an award to you. Hop on over to my blog to claim it!

    Mrs. B's Nook

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...