Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pretty Polkas, Bright Blues, and Glorious Greens

My classroom decorating process has been, in a word, exhausting. Every year I take down EVERYTHING in my classroom (it's like a cleansing process for me), and the following year I re-do and re-arrange.
Well, I don't know if it's the new last name, the invention of Pinterest, or all of the above, but this year I wanted to "spice things up" a bit in my classroom. It started with me narrowing down my color palette. I decided on lime green, aqua blue, and black and white polka dots. Not too much of a change up from my classroom last year, but I wanted to make it even crisper this time around.


I started with using black fabric for every bulletin board. That's right. I found that my classroom already feels a lot more cohesive and clean with the boards all sharing the same black fabric. I also decided to double my borders to give that black fabric the "pop" it deserves. Yeah, I know nothing is on this board yet. It's a work in progress. :)


I also bought some new bins and storage from the Dollar Tree (SCORE)! I have tons of plastic containers, but I put the non blue and green storage in other places, like my cabinets and drawers, and left the pretty blue and lime ones out for the world to see. :) For a dollar, you can't beat these babies!


I used some polka dot fabric to cover my desk, lateral file cabinet, and bookshelf by my desk. (Basically, all of the things my kiddos aren't allowed to touch). I secured the fabric with a little tape, and it really makes my desk area feel more "home-y." (Not to be confused with "homie.") :)


So in love with these colors! This board is also a work in progress.


This lateral file cabinet is seriously my new favorite thing in the room. And the perfect place to place my Teacher of the Year award, Mythbusters bobbleheads, and a picture of me and my hubby.

What do you think of the new look?

6 comments:

  1. I love it! I never would have thought of covering the desk with fabric! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of covering your bulletin boards with black fabric. It really does make your colors pop! And look cohesive. Looks great!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your room looks great! I love the color scheme :O) I can't wait to see what goes up on the boards!!

    ps: I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors of your room look so pretty! :)

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...