Now the the wedding is over (sad sigh)...and the honeymoon is just around the corner (YIPPEE!)...
I thought I would share some of my favorite little "details" from the wedding! You know, the things that made me "extra warm and fuzzy" inside."
#1. My Color Scheme
For those of you that have read my blog for a while, you know that I became obsessed with grey and yellow sometime in the middle of last summer. Ever since then, I had my heart set on a grey and yellow wedding. I actually was planning on using grey and yellow for our summertime nuptials, but when we won our dream wedding (even if it happened to fall on Valentine's Day) I had to stick to my guns and go with the grey...and yellow. I didn't care if people wanted or expected us to have a "red" or "pink" Valentine's theme. In my opinion, that was a little cliche, and definitely not our taste. The yellow and grey looked so elegant and modern, and lemme tell you, we got a TON of compliments on it!
#2. Non-Traditional Music
I loved our string quartet! They were one of our favorite prizes and were so accommodating to our needs! Kolby and I wanted music that was more contemporary and/or different at our wedding, so instead of the traditional, "Here Comes the Bride" I actually walked to a classical piece called "Hymne" by Vangelis. It was stunning, beautiful, and still very bridal, but it was different. My bridesmaids also walked to a classical piece from Bach called, "Air." However, the rest of the music was very contemporary. They played everything from Eleanor Rigby to Muse as people were filing in sit down, and our recessional was to "Clocks" from Coldplay. I LOVED how unique the music was, and I will never forget it.
#3 Cupcakes...Duh!
This one goes without saying. I cannot believe, still, that Jilly's catered our wedding. Who would have thought that me, a "newbie" cupcake maker and blogger would win a wedding catered by St. Louis' top cupcake bakery...and winner of Cupcake Wars?! I cannot give them enough compliments, and Kolby and I can't wait to make Jilly's part of our new traditions as husband and wife!
#4. Our Family's Contributions
Even though we only had a month to plan and organize this wedding, that didn't take away from our families helping us make it special. My mom made my veil (she sewed it herself) and made my garter. My Nana used to make the garters for the girls before she passed away, and since her death my mom has taken on that honor. It meant a lot to wear a veil and garter made by my mom, and it really made my attire even more special. Kolby's mom also gave me her mother's handbag to carry for my "something old," and it was so wonderful to be wearing something from both maternal grandmothers ( wore pearls from my Nana too). My parents also made the card box for us, and Kolby's mom took care of the guest book. It was nice to look around and see little touches from our parents all around our wedding, even if we only had a month to plan. :)
#5. Inside Jokes Were All Around
"Obediente!" was the joke of the weekend before our wedding. It means "Be obedient" in Spanish, and Laura, Armando, Kolby and I joked about it for days on end. Even though we were taking the most serious step imaginable in our lives, it made me chuckle to walk to the room where we got ready and see this on the chalkboard. I love my life, and my friends. :)
#6. My Brother
There were a few moments where I "lost it" crying before the wedding. and the biggest was when I first saw my baby brother Mitchel. Yes, it was emotional seeing my hubby for the first time, but there was something about seeing my little brother, the kid who I watched grow up, walk into the room in his tux as a groomsmen in my wedding that just got to me. I'm so proud of him, and this is such a big year for both us. He is graduating and I got married. Wow. 2012 will always be pretty special for us. :)
#7. We Kept It "Real"
Kolby and I pride ourselves with "keeping it real" as a couple. We don't take ourselves too seriously. We make each other laugh, make other people laugh, and are very laid back. We wanted our wedding to be the same way, and when we won the Y98 wedding we wanted to make sure we kept the wedding (even if it was bigger than we originally were planning) US. We saw each other before the ceremony (so that we could take pictures outside) and I LOVED having that moment where just the two of us could 'take in' all of the wedding excitement. I loved how we made each other laugh during the wedding when Kolby stumbled on his vows, and how we danced like our crazy selves during our introduction and during the reception. Heck, I even did "The Jerk" dance move that my kiddos taught me in front of my family and friends! This picture of us pretty much sums up how excited we were to marry each other. :)
#8. Out-Of-Town Family and Friends
Seeing my family from California, Boston, and Los Angeles, as well as Kolby's family from Arkansas, and my very best friend and her boyfriend from Texas, really puts into perspective how much we are loved. I can't believe that so many of our family members and friends took the time to buy a last-minute plane ticket to come to our wedding. We are so lucky-and the wedding would not have been the same without them!
#9. Being Treated Like Celebrities
There were some major perks to winning this wedding. For starters, it was...FREE! (And we get to go on our FREE honeymoon shortly!) However, many of our vendors really took the extra time and effort to make us feel special. Winery of the Little Hills ordered in decor in our colors and bottled up wine and popcorn for us with a personalized label. Jilly's decorated their cupcakes in styles fit for a cupcake blogger. And Ginger Bay Salon and Spa served us wine while we got free pedicures. It was wonderful feeling like a princess for a month! :)
#10 Marrying The Love of My Life
Kolby is the only man for me. I have known it since I first met him when I was a sophomore waiting to audition for my very first High School play. I knew it the first time we danced on our first date at Coronation, and I knew it as we celebrated our one year anniversary at the Magic House. It was spectacular for our ten year journey to come full circle as we became husband and wife at the same "magical" place where we celebrated just one year of happiness. There will be many, many more to come. Out of all of the special details, I think marrying him that day takes the cake...I mean cupcake!















Melissa - CONGRATS! It looked like a total blast! :) Have fun on your honeymoon!
ReplyDeleteLauren
Life in Middle School