I received the best ever gift on our last day of school this year. A gift that brought tears to my eyes. Let me back up and explain the story to you...
I had a student this year who struggled. It took him longer to learn than the others. He was like the last little duck, bobbing along and trying to stay afloat in my science class. He started the year with an "F." Learning did not come easy for him. He was different. However, he was willing. And eager. And I knew he could do it. We just needed to figure out "his system" for learning. Throughout the year, we tried different techniques. We read out loud. We made up songs. Then, one day, he decided to make some flashcards for his Rocks Test. He asked for the study guide a week early so he could make the cards with his mom. He studied those cards every night...and he ACED the test. The other kids in my class were so proud of him. He earned the highest grade of them all, and seeing them pat him on the back as he signed my "Woot Wall" was an amazing moment to witness. For every test from then on, he made his flashcards. I made sure to give him the study guides early so he had plenty of time. He ended the year with an A on his final, and an A for the quarter.
Seeing him and his mom at my "Snaps Awards" ceremony brought tears to my eyes. I was, am, so immensely proud of him. I don't want him to go on. He is still so fragile, so eager, and so full of hope, and I will always be worried that someone won't take the time to care for my little "duck" as I did this year. But...I know that he is confident and now knows EXACTLY how he learns and how he needs to study. On the last day of school, I found him physically hugging my desk. I told him that we needed to go since the buses were waiting and he replied, "I don't want to leave." My heart was breaking as I walked him out to his bus, but I looked him right in his eyes and told him that he was ready and that he could accomplish ANYTHING.
Okay...so back to the "gift". This kiddo made me a card in his Communication Arts Class, which was placed in my mailbox on our last teacher workday. Here's what it said:
Dear Mrs. Tackett,
Thank you so much for that note and everything that you have done for me. I have so much to write you, sadly, this note won't hold all of that. All I have to say is thank you so much for not giving up on me. Thank you for believing in me. That was all I needed to achieve my science goals. I want to say that you are my favorite teacher so far but I can't...you will always be my favorite.
Thank You,
I have already framed the card so that I can proudly display it for the years to come! It was truly the best gift of all time. This kiddo will always hold a special place in my heart...and his words are the greatest gift of all.

Incredible! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete