However, last Friday, something truly exciting and magnificent happened!
It all started while I was laying out by the pool around noon on Friday. I wanted to get a few hours' worth of sun before heading home to work on schoolwork for my master's classes. I decided to check Twitter, and saw this little tweet from my favoritest nerd girl of all time, Kari Byron from Mythbusters and Head Rush:
I decided to reply to her. Why not? She had JUST tweeted it, so I figured she must be looking at her Twitter. I responded.
Almost instantly, I head that lovely little "pop" sound on my phone indicating that I had a new email. When I opened it, I saw this:
Ahhh! I started squealing! Kari, my all time favorite nerd, was following me on Twitter! I was elated! Then, I heard another "pop!" What could this be?
I know it's kind of hard to read, but Kari sent me a direct message on Facebook that said, "Send me an address :)" I nearly dropped my phone I was so excited! I sent her a direct message with my address right away, thanking her and telling her that my kids would be forever excited. Can you imagine their astonishment when I tell them that this DVD was sent to us PERSONALLY by KARI BYRON? Ahhhh!
After I sent her my address, she responded with: "On its way!" I still can't believe it!
If you are a teacher, or just someone who is awesome and appreciates science, you should really check out Kari's show on the Science Channel, Head Rush. It is geared towards middle school kids, and features tons of experiments that kids can do at home, awesome "Cool Jobs in Science" segments, and also clips from Kari's primary show, Mythbusters. My students LOVE it-and all of the episodes are age appropriate and school friendly. Our school even has episodes on our streaming software, United Streaming. Here is a clip from an episode in case you haven't seen the show.
Needless to say, I am still over the moon. My kids are going to flip out when they hear that Kari personally sent us these DVDs! It is quite possible the coolest thing that has ever happened to me through social media. I may sound like a giddy little boyband fan or something, but to know that Kari was personally sending me messages on Twitter kind of makes a nerdy science gal's day...or month...or summer! :)





Oh my goodness! I am SO jealous! That's going to be an awesome story to tell your kiddos next year!
ReplyDeleteLaura
Will Grade For Coffee
THAT IS AWESOME!
ReplyDeleteAlso - I was thinking, we need to find more Missouri bloggers and have a fun Missouri bloggy MEET UP! wouldn't that be spectacular?
ReplyDeleteThat would be TOTALLY AWESOME Jordon!!
ReplyDelete