Friday, June 22, 2012

The Farmer in the Dell

A few Saturdays ago some friends of mine, along with the hubs and my brother and sister in law, decided to check out the local Farmer's Market here in Lake Saint Louis. My husband and I are big advocates of supporting local businesses and farmers. Many of my students' families are farmers as well. Here in the STL we have a HUGE Farmer's Market every Saturday down in Soulard that is FANTASTIC, but there are many local produce stands and markets out here in the suburbs too. Here are some pictures of our little trip!


This Farmer's Market was less than five minutes away from us-which was fantastic!


My nephew Sam was also ready to find some fresh goodies!


Although we did not purchase any of the fresh honey, it was a great deal! Honey is so expensive!


I loved these little tomato plants/



We purchases some of these carrots. They reminded me of when my grandparents out in San Diego and I would plant carrots every year.


I know it's a strange vegetable to love, but I love beets. We didn't buy these, but they sure looked tasty.


There were tons of beautiful flowers and plants as well!


Sam preferred nibbling on a toy instead of the veggies.


There was also a stand selling fresh meat from their farm. My hubby was very excited about this stand!


There were some cute and entertaining activities, like face painting for kids and musicians playing in the center of the market.




The coolest (and scariest) site to see was the beehive. Bees have always freaked me out, and seeing that many of them together was a little unsettling for me.

We left with some carrots, parsnips, farm fresh eggs, and homemade strawberry rhubarb and apple butter. There wasn't as much of a variety fresh produce as I would have liked, and there wasn't any fruit at all, but it still felt nice to buy some of our weekly groceries from local farmers. 

As for this coming Saturday (tomorrow), we will be spending the day SHOPPING for our honeymoon! The countdown is on! I plan to be doing a whole lot of this in just a little while!



Do you go to Farmer's Markets? How do you spend your Saturday mornings?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...