Friday, August 31, 2012

Subby Tubby...You're The One


To visit my new blog to see more ideas, visit www.elementaryendeavors.weebly.com


Anyone get the joke in the title? It's a play off of Ernie's "Rubber Ducky" song from Sesame Street. Lame, I know, but watching Sesame Street videos with my nephew has caused these kid tunes to be forever embedded in my brain. :)

This year I was very inspired by Pinterest. One of my first pins was a "sub tub" that you could use when you are absent! I decided to create my own!


I used a blue filing tub that I've had for a long time. My mom bought me a ton of these when I started teaching-they are so awesome!


Inside I have several sections. One of them contains my "Stuff the Sub Should Know" and the rest contain emergency sub plan copies (enough for a week), extra work, a book (and directions on how to use it as a class game), and even a game that the sub could play if there is extra time!


This is my folder that contains absolutely EVERYTHING the sub would need to know about me and my classroom!


I included a bell schedule...


Information on our Team Teachers and other helpful teachers...


A "Where Can I Find The..." section-complete with pictures to make things easy to find!


I also typed out a ton of emergency sub plans and included enough copies for my kids!


I love that I included lots of labs as part of my emergency plans. The best part? They require almost zero materials but teach a ton of inquiry based skills! There are answer keys for the sub as well.


Just in case, there are extra games, puzzles, and other fun goodies in the back! I'm super excited about this little tubby...and we have our first professional development/team plan day this week and my sub said she loved it!

What do you do for your substitute teachers?

14 comments:

  1. LOVE this!! Awesome job. I'm totally going to make my own now. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been subbing for a few weeks now and would LOVE if all regular classroom teachers did this! :-) Great ideas. I will be doing this when I have my own classroom someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I train substitute teachers and wish they would have their own mini sub tub with ideas (like your labs) that they could use in a pinch! I do give them a notebook so they aren't empty handed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really terrific. I am SO going to put one of these together over the summer. Thanks for all the great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where do you get your simple labs that you leave for the sub??
    Lisa Brock

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found this, and LOVE it....Just gave me the idea to make one. I have a great binder, but I end up leaving everything ALL OVER my desk when I have a sub, all perfectly laid out. This would be soo much less overwhelming if I just made a file folder for each subject! That way I "could" leave more than one day at a time if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would also love to know where you find your simple labs for the sub.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me too! Lab links would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is another great idea. I, too, would love to know where you got your simple labs for subs. So much better than busy work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The best idea I found when I subbed before becoming a teacher was to have a picture seating chart. A picture of the student was on the seating chart at the students seat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seating chart and class list are great! List of allergies or expected issues (if you're allowed to give them that information), such as "Don't give Tommy peanuts" or "Susie has seizures sometimes, here's what to do if that happens..."

    I would also include emergency plans, just in case. Or, at least, where to find them if they're posted. That way if there's a fire drill or something, they know exactly where to go and what to do. Generally, they don't receive this training.

    When I was subbing, my favorite teacher left a water bottle and a chocolate bar. She called it the "substitute survival kit".

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wondering where I can get that awesome tub for the Sub Tub?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to sub until I got hired on as a special education teacher. Now I have to make my own plans and have a back up like this in case I am sick and cannot make it in to work. I need something like this. I loved it when teachers had such awesome plans to follow. Those types made my days of subbing so much easier.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...