Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Today

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Sometimes...in the teaching world...you get a little stressed (and by a little I mean a lot).

Papers pile up, emails bombard your mailbox, and you wake up feeling like you could use just five more minutes of sleep. It's easy to get caught in the waves of the school day. A few days ago, I came home from school, set down my bag, and cried. Not just a few tears, but a LOT. This happens to me every so often during the school year. I overwhelm myself with to-do lists, master's classes, and after school obligations and worry too much about things that really aren't all that important. My husband usually helps me see the bigger picture, but sometimes I just need to have a good, long cry. It isn't pretty, and I wish it didn't happen as often as it does, but it's the truth.

Yesterday as I was teaching my biggest class, (that asks hundreds of questions-and they usually repeat the question their peer already asked hehe) I stopped my lesson because I noticed one of my kiddos (a repeat question offender) was raising his hand. Giggling with exasperation with the class, knowing I was about to repeat an answer I'd already given, I exclaimed, "(Name of kiddo here) WHAT is it?" He looked up at me and smiled and said, "I'm going to be a science teacher when I grow up."

That was all it took. I smiled down at him, drew a BIG heart around him with my fingers, and once again realized how lucky I am. Who cares about piles of papers and petty worries when I get the opportunity to teach kids like this every day? I can still see his face, smiling so big he is almost giddy, as I drew that heart around him.

What an amazing day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...