Monday, August 20, 2012

Waking Up Is Hard To Do...and Other First Week Feelings!

Well, I've survived the first "week" of my fifth year as a teacher (it was actually just three days). Here are my thoughts and feelings on my first few days:

1. My Kids Are AMAZING!
This group of kiddos is exceptionally polite, respectful, and sweet. They continue to amaze me! I know it's early, but I can tell it's going to be a GREAT year!

2. Waking Up Is Hard To Do.
I'm having a harder time than I thought waking up at 5:00 every day. I've been meaning to start running again, but I've hit the "snooze" button a few more times than I should have the past few days! I'm definitely missing waking up a little later!

3. Forget the Heels.
I wore heels for the first day of school and my feet were absolutely killing me by the end of the day! Time for comfortable, cute flats! I'm even considering keeping some slippers in my classroom...just for a little extra comfort when I'm working at my desk during plan time and before/after school. :)

4. Is It Time to Eat Yet?
My body is all confused now that I'm back at school. I'm not used to my "scheduled" bathroom breaks, eating in the middle of my fourth hour, or even drinking so much coffee in the morning! It's going to take some time to adjust to being back.

5. Anyone Have a Throat Lozenge?
I'm always amazed at how little of a voice I have left after the first few days. I forget how much I TALK during those initial days of teaching procedures and expectations. By Friday night I was completely hoarse and could barely speak!

6. Practice Makes Perfect!
I cannot stress enough how important it is (even at the middle school level) to practice modeling expectations and behaviors for your students. During the first week I really emphasized what I expect from my kiddos. We practiced pushing in our chairs, looking each other in the eye when someone is speaking to us, and how to give appropriate responses when someone asks a question. We practiced leaving the classroom. We practiced modeling how one should sit when working at their table. It may sound monotonous and repetitive, but practicing these procedures will make class a WHOLE lot easier in the long run!

7. When A Class Pet Dies...
...It's harder on the teacher than the students. I keep calling our new class fish "Einstein" our old class fish's name "The Dark Knight." It's going to be an adjustment calling our new fishy friend by a different name.


8. Spread a Little Sunshine...Even If You Don't Feel Like It.
I handed out cards to my Team teachers on the first day of school with little inspirational quotes in them like, "Be a rainbow in someone's cloud." It's nice to recognize the people you work with and support them in bringing their best every day for kids!

9. Make Contact.
I emailed my parents on the second day of school. All of them. I wanted to establish that home/school connection early, and I have received numerous responses from parents thanking me for sending a quick little message from the teacher!

10. Jilly's Cupcake Bar Brunch With Friends To End The Week...
Makes all the stress of the first week back worth it. :)


How was your first week back?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with EVERYTHING you said! Our official first day is tomorrow. I'm worried I won't get a wink of sleep - I'm so tired, but I know my brain won't shut off. Enjoy week numero dos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all SO SO true! This is my second week, but last weekend, I was rasping like crazy when I went out. And heels ... I rarely wear them at work, but I did for the first day my 3rd year, and my feet were literally bleeding by the end of the day. Like, blood stains on my shoes! Let's not even talk about waking up!

    Thanks for the post. I relate so much!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...