I thought I'd post the speech I gave last week at my school district's new teacher orientation. THANK YOU to all of you who left me helpful tips and advice! :)
Me before giving the speech...and now my hair is WAY shorter!
Four years ago, I
was sitting exactly where you all are sitting. There I was, a “newbie,” just
like you, itching to be finished with the many meetings that filled up my first
official week as a teacher. I remember feeling incredibly anxious to get back
into my classroom to hang up just one more poster or double check my rosters
and seating charts.
I, of course, thought
I knew what I was doing. I had graduated from Lindenwood University with a
degree in Elementary Education and was placed in a sixth grade science
classroom at North Middle. I had researched my subject all summer. I had met
with my mentor, met my grade level team of teachers, and found the ever coveted
laminating machine in my building. I had copies for the first week carefully
layed out on my desk. I was as ready as I could ever be.
When that
classroom door closed as the bell rang for my first hour class, the feeling hit
me. What was I doing? Here I was, 22 years old, and I was being trusted to
teach these twenty five eleven year olds…by myself? Without a cooperating
teacher? There is no feeling quite like that initial moment where you look out
into your classroom of kids for the first time, knowing they are all yours, and
feeling more unprepared and nervous than you will ever feel, I assure you, in
your adult life. One kid asked me if I was old enough to be their teacher.
Others looked at me with skeptical eyes “scoping me out” to see what they could
get away with. I was petrified. However, I smoothed out my dress, took a deep
breath, and dove in to my first day of the rest of my life.
As a first year
teacher, there were many “lessons” I quickly learned (mostly from my students)
that I never learned in college. The first lesson was that it was okay to show
my students that I was human. I had heard that old expression, “Don’t smile
until Christmas” from many teachers in my building, and tried my very best to
maintain order, be a disciplinarian, and never show my students my “weak” side
during those first few months. However, I soon realized that there would be
days when my “perfect” lesson plan simply wasn’t working, and I would need to
say to my kiddos, “Okay guys, we need to try something else. What do you
suggest?” I realized it was okay to let my students know when I made a mistake,
and they respected me more for it. When a student asked me a question I didn’t
know the answer to, I would show them how excited I was to look up the answer
with them. It’s important to show your students that you aren’t just a teacher;
you are a forever learner just like we want them to be.
I also learned
that it’s okay to ask for help. Contrary to popular belief, we can’t do it all.
It takes a village to teach a child. Get to know the staff at your school and
don’t be afraid to ask for help. Some of the best advice I’ve been given has
come from my school’s custodians, librarian, and secretaries. We don’t know everything,
and sometimes we need to learn to ask for assistance. Plus, it’s important to
show our students that there is a whole family of staff in our school who are
working together to make school an awesome place for learning.
I also learned
that it’s okay to be openly passionate about what you are doing. After all, we
got into teaching for our kids, and the more we show our passion for learning
and teaching with our students and our colleagues, the better. It was hard for
me as a first year teacher to “step outside the box” by decorating the hallways
to look like the layers of the Earth for a lesson on the Earth’s interior. It
was even harder dressing up like Sir Isaac Newton (and staying in character all
day) as I voyaged into the teacher’s workroom to pick up my mail. However, I
decided that it was up to me to instill a lifelong love of learning in my
students. I wanted them to be excited to come to school every day. I loved
seeing them peek their heads into our classroom in the morning and say, “Ooh,
what are we doing today?” It was difficult to be considered “the weird teacher”
at first from others in my building, but seeing my students’ academic success
and love for learning assured me that rapping about volcanoes while standing on
my desk wasn’t such a bad thing after all. Soon, my students and I were
creating projects and learning experiences that I had never dreamed possible. I
shared with them my dream of attending space camp, and before I knew it my
students and I were writing essays to obtain scholarships to attend. Students
dressed up like “Metamorphic Rock Superheros” and the planets of our solar
system and proudly walked the halls. My kids taught me how to “do the jerk”
dance move and laughed with me as I desperately tried to attempt it at our school’s
Halloween party. We learned together, made many mistakes together, and created
a classroom climate that made every student feel safe, loved, and secure. Nothing
will ever replace that first group of kids, and the bond you have with them
will be like none other in your teaching career.
I also learned
that you can…never. Give. Up. Teaching is the hardest and BEST job in the
world. It’s a job that requires every ounce of creativity, energy, and
enthusiasm. We have the ability to impact what kind of classroom we are going
to have, and what kind of attitude our students will have towards learning. It
is up to us to never stop learning and to never give up on our kids. Last year
I had a particularly challenging student that made me realize even more the
power that we teachers can have on a learner. This student was very behind
academically speaking in all content areas. Yet, he came to my class every day
with a smile on his face, and sat in the front row dazed and confused as the
scientific material seemed to spin around him. Every day he and I would
conference about what was working in our class and what wasn’t. We brainstormed
ways to study. He started the year with an “F” in science and ended with an
“A,” after months of hard work and dedication. On the last day of school, he
left a card in my mailbox that read, “Thank you so much for everything that you have done for me. I
have so much to write you, sadly, this note won't hold all of that. All I have
to say is thank you so much for not giving up on me. Thank you for believing in
me. That was all I needed to achieve my science goals. I want to say that you
are my favorite teacher so far but I can't...you will always be my favorite.” I stood holding the card for what
felt like forever, re-reading it over and over again, and seeing him
confidently register for his seventh grade classes last week brought tears to
my eyes.
Sometimes it’s
hard to stay motivated, especially during your first year when you are still
learning what kind of a teacher you want to be. Weeks may go by where you feel
like you are drowning. It will be rare that students stop to say, “Thank you”
for that classroom game that took you hours to create or a card like the one
from my kiddo is waiting for you in your mailbox. Some days you will feel like
everything you are doing isn’t working, but know that you were chosen for your
position for a reason. You were chosen by the Fort Zumwalt School District to
teach because you believe the best of kids, and your students will motivate you
in ways you never dreamed possible. I never thought in a million years I would
have the energy to make a trip to Wal-Mart at 4:00 in the morning because a kid
emailed me a great lab idea at midnight, or that I would find myself listening
to Justin Bieber so that I could get to know my students’ interests better. The
gratification and rewards will come with time, and seeing your first year
students come back to visit you will remind you that you did indeed make a
difference. Remember to breathe and give yourself a break every once in a
while. The grading will get finished, the lessons will work out, and remember
that staying at school every night until 9:00 PM can become overwhelming. Give
yourself time to get refreshed-your students will thank you for it and you will
feel a hundred times better. Great teachers are constantly revamping and
reworking their classrooms and lessons, and the work never ends. Just remember
to stop and recharge with a Bread Company iced tea every once in a while. Find
people in your building who you can lean on when you need a boost, and try not
to hide in your classroom too much. Helping with school organizations and clubs
brings a whole new perspective, and your students will see you in a different
light.
Also, remember
that everyone was a first year teacher once, and trust me, everyone is more
than willing to help you with anything you need, myself included. But most of
all, take time to enjoy every minute of your irreplaceable first year. There
will never be another year that is quite as special.
Congratulations on beginning the
best journey of your lives and welcome to the Fort Zumwalt School District
family! Thank you!

Melissa,
ReplyDeleteSitting here with tears in my eyes.....all those feelings of my first year 30 years ago came flooding back! What a wonderful way with words. Congratulations....this speech is a keeper!
Debbie
Teise's Tidbits
Thank you! :)
DeleteWhat a great speech for new teachers to hear! Sounds like you did a great job! That note from your student... Wow!!
ReplyDeleteJenny
Luckeyfrog's Lilypad
Thank you!
DeleteThank for sharing, Melissa! Your words were just what I needed to hear. :)
ReplyDelete