Friday, August 17, 2012

Middle School Management

One more day until the weekend! I am already exhausted! Talking and teaching all day can wear you out! I probably hit "snooze" three times this morning! :)

Needless to say, teaching middle school is an entirely different beast than elementary school (or even high school). It's difficult to come up with behavior management systems that are effective, because you have to keep track of many different students, who are all in different hours. This year I'm starting a new "Team Binder" system that I hope will help me manage my kiddos better. Here's what it looks like:


I have a two inch binder that I'm going to keep on my lab table. I plan on buying a new binder (perhaps a red one, since that is our Team's color) but this is the binder I'm using for now.


There are five sections to the binder, one for each class. The first page is a seating chart.

 

The second page is a phone log. I keep track of all of my parent emails electronically, but using a paper system for phone calls works well for me. I usually input the conversations into my school's information system afterwards.


Next is information on our state's standardized testing for each of my kiddos. (Again, there is one of these for each hour). I color coded the papers to make it easy for me to identify. This paper is a bright lime green.


Next is my tardies log. Every time a kiddo gets a tardy, I will check off next to their name. In my building, we issue paper tardy slips, and I left a plastic sheet protector pocket after this page to store my paper tardy slips. This will make it easy to keep track of how often my kids are late to class.


Following is my lunch detention log. Every time I issue a lunch detention, I will write the date next to each student's name. I also left a plastic sheet protector where I can store the actual lunch detention slip (which states the reason for the detention), for easy accessibility.


I am also utilizing the same system for my negative office referrals. I decided red was the best color to represent this section. :)


Next is my Snaps Awards log. You can read more about my Snaps awards here.


Last, but not least, is my Positive Office Referral log. I write a LOT of these throughout the year! :)

I am also leaving room for notes from my school counselors about kids, information from my back to school surveys and personality tests, and other information. I think this binder is going to be a great way to keep track of information about my kiddos throughout the year! :)

3 comments:

  1. I have a binder that I keep all of my student info in. I have been struggling with how I wanted to keep track of tardies and the other things you mentioned. Would you be willing to share? My email is mary.jo.martin.09@gmail.com. We start workshops on Monday and I'm sure I'll be exhausted by Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking at your blog for the last hour! I am a recent college grad, and am beginning my first year of teaching this coming August (8th grade Science)! I cannot wait to use some of the ideas you have here (behavior management binder, sub tub, SNAPS, etc.)! Would you be willing to share your SNAPS system, or the behavior management binder components? My email is ashmb15@gmail.com. Thank you so much! I hope you have a relaxing summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just have to say thanks for even keeping a middle school blog. I teach 6th, 7th, and 8th language arts. I love Pinterest but 90% of the information is for early elementary. I also use a sub tub and the no homework binder. For my management of student behavior, I keep a clipboard with six sheets - one for each of my classes (2 of each grade)that has the student names. I have many grids on it and mark Td for Tardy, D for detention, T for talking, B means they lost their 1 participation point for that day. I put a star or two by names as I notice students doing exceptionally well and avoiding temptation. For my more permanent records, I transfer this over every week to one of six file folders (so it all stays very "thin"). Inside the folders I use 5x8 index cards taped on one side and then another stacked a half inch or so. On the bottom part sticking out, I write each student's name. I can then transfer the date and what it was onto that student's card. If a parent conference comes up or a phone call, all I have to do is flip the card open with his/her name and say, "On the 15th and 16th he was talking. I moved him, but on the 19th and 20th he was talking to others again." Or whatever. - - Thanks again; I'll be reading.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...