During the last week of school, I invite our school staff, my students' families, and anyone who wants to come to my final Snaps Awards Presentation. At the ceremony, I give each and every student a snaps award that encompasses their attitudes/behaviors from the entire year. The awards are in the form of "medals" that they can proudly wear all day. Some of the snaps include:
- Sunny Side Up Snaps- for students who are always looking at the bright side of things
- Gummy Worm Snaps- for my students who are always "on the go" and moving around
- Bubble Gum Snaps- for my students who are great at "sticking" to their goals
We also celebrated the win of Dagobah House for our class's House Cup Award! For more on my houses, check out this post. The lucky winners received fruit punch with fun silly straws and huge cupcakes! They also got to sit in the center of the action, and I decorated with fun balloons in the color of their house!
I could go on and on, but the awards are a HUGE hit! I also give out several special science awards on that day, for things such as the highest grades in geology, astronomy, meteorology, and awards like "Next Mythbusters" and "Future Science Teacher."
Last, I show the video of the kids talking about their favorite memories, as well as pictures I've taken from throughout the year. The kids always cry, and the parents love seeing pictures and videos of the kiddos. At the end of the video, I always have a "sign off" where I wish the kids luck and tell them that I will always be there for them. As this is playing, I have them their letter. Yes, I write a letter to each and every student. It takes a significant amount of time, but I will tell you, my room is never more quiet than when my students are reading their letter. It is their own personal note, directly from me to them, and it's such a great way to end the year!
This year, I was able to hold it together except for two moments. One was when a dad shook my hand and got tears in his eyes as he told me that I inspired his son. The other was during my sixth hour. There is sometime so special about that class...I could teach them all day. It's great to end the day with that group, and I wish I could keep them. :)




Melissa, I wanted to tell you that seeing you write about writing a letter to each of your students got me thinking about it. I've always thought of it, but I didn't. So, I wrote letters. Only 20, but I made them handwritten and long. I also included a printed list of advice along with a photo card I had made.
ReplyDeleteI thought there wouldn't be much reaction since it was so different and because of the personality of the class. However, I was stunned at their reaction. So many of them were so surprised and told me how nice it was. One girl came to me crying saying that no one had ever said those things to her. I was so moved by their reaction and now plan to do it every year. Thank you so much for talking about what you do. It is inspiring in so many ways!
Have a great summer!
Melissa,
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure if you still check these boards, but I am interested in the SNAPS and would like further information, e.g. do you give the students you have selected a SNAP medal/disc or do you just announce the recognition? do you give them any kind of tangible reward? do you keep track of the thing that you have rewarded each student for?
Hi Kayla! My SNAPS awards during the regular school year are just awards I made on Microsoft Publisher. I printed a table with my students' names on them so that I could keep track of when they receive their SNAPS, and gave out two awards per class every Friday. They would get the certificate, some raffle tickets for our school raffle, and a prize from my prize container. At the end of the year they receive the medals. :)
ReplyDeleteBe sure to check out my new blog at: www.elementaryendeavors.weebly.com
Awesome! I'm definitely using this! Great idea!
ReplyDelete