I decided to simplify the system and explained to my kiddos that they were going to be taking part in a little "experiment." Naturally, they were beyond excited. I wrote on the whiteboard the numbers and explained that when they needed to leave the room they were to raise their hand, with their hand in the shape of the number, letting me know where they needed to go.
1- bathroom
2- locker
3- drink
4- sharpen pencil (they are only allowed to sharpen pencils when I'm teaching if it is an emergency)
We decided as a class that "5" was pointless, since that is the shape their hand is in when they have a question.
Well what do you know? The system is FANTASTIC! I can't believe how effective it is! And...I don't have to hear my name every five minutes! I am so glad I started this system out with my kiddos this year so that next year I can make any tweaks or changes. Plus, now I have experience dealing with this new system!
I definitely recommend trying new things out in the classroom as soon as you see fit...don't wait until "next year." Let your students now be the experimenters...you may be amazed at the results!

No comments:
Post a Comment