Let me tell you... I have never been more nervous in my entire life than I was on Friday. Friday was our district appreciation dinner where I had to give my (gulp) Teacher of the Year Speech. It is much easier to talk to kiddos than it is to talk to hundreds of teachers, principals, and board members.
I started off the afternoon by practicing my speech in front of my sixth hour kiddos. They are, without a doubt. my sweetest bunch and they wanted to help me practice. I began just fine, and then...all of a sudden..I started crying! When I got to the part of my speech where I talk about finding motivation from my kids I completely lost it. Naturally, the girls in my class came to my rescue, informing me that if I cried while giving my speech it would be alright and it would show my passion. How sweet is that? They also informed me to purchase some waterproof mascara. :)
My friend Julie picked me up around 5:00 and drove to the banquet center, where Kolby was meeting us. As soon we walked in, I was greeted by dozens of former teachers, principals, you name it. This only added to my nerves, but everyone was so excited to hear me speak. The anticipation was palpable.
They began the night by showing a video of kids talking about the employees and educators of the year. The girl they picked to talk about me was one of my all time favorite kids. When she started talking about how I inspired her to be exactly who she is, and that she looks up to me because I'm not afraid to be who I am I started bawling. Seeing her talk about my influence was too much. I cried into my napkin as Kolby reassured me that I was going to be great and reminded me to take a deep breath...and then I was up.
When I was senior at Fort Zumwalt South, back in 2004, I remember desperately running through the English hallway to hear one of my favorite teachers, Mr. Tony Primeau, give his annual "end of the year" speech. Mr. Primeau was one of those teachers. He inspired kids, he believed the best in each of us, and he was so incredibly passionate about his subject that it was contagious. I still have my copy of To Kill A Mockingbird from his class. It makes me smile to flip through the pages and see the scribbles of notes in the margins, outlining unfamiliar vocabulary words and foreshadowing. When I looked around his classroom at the dozens of students all there just to hear him speak, I realized the incredible impact that Mr. Primeau had on his students. I don't remember every word of his speech on that notable day, but I do remember him reading one of his favorite quotes, "Attitude" by Charles Swindol, which was proudly displayed in his classroom on a neon pink piece of paper. The words of this quote have resonated with me through the years, and are words that, in my opinion, every teacher need to hear:
"The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past, we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the ONE string we have, and that is our ATTITUDE …I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you…you are in charge of your ATTITUDE.”
When I look out into my science classroom, I see twenty five pairs of eyes hanging on my every word. Those eyes belong to students who are depending on me. I alone am responsible for their success. It is up to me to inspire them, to believe in them, and to come to class everyday with the attitude that all students can learn. I teach sixth grade, which is a pivotal transition in a child's academic life. This is a crucial moment in their lives where I can change the course of their educational career. At the beginning of the year, I always survey my students and ask them how many of them like science. I always receive around 6-7 reluctantly raised hands. Then, I inform them that by the end of the year, every hand will be raised. I tell them that this year they are going to LOVE school. I share with them that I am more passionate about teaching than anything in the world. I tell them I will do whatever it takes to help them learn. I tell them that this year they are going to work harder than they ever have before, and that the journey won't be easy. I tell them that I believe they can accomplish anything. Some students look at me with doubtful expressions, but I make a constant effort to inform my students that it is my job, my responsibility, to make science a subject that they want to learn.
As teachers, we are, by nature, selfless individuals. We work long hours, volunteer for countless school events, attend our student's baseball games, and spend our own money to make sure our students' needs are met. I can't remember the last time I was able to pass by the dollar bin at Target without splurging on more goodies for my kids, or the last time I spent an evening at home without updating my classroom website. We make thousands of decisions every day, at a moment's notice that can drastically alter the lives of our kids. "Should I reteach yesterday’s lesson-the kids seemed a little confused? Do the kids need a brain break?-they seem to be getting squirmy. Maybe I should cancel my dentist appointment today to hold an emergency study session for tomorrow's test?" I cannot think of another profession where one person has to make so many decisions that have so much of a direct impact on a large group of people. How do we find the motivation to put on our "game face" every day? How do we find the strength to engage kids and make learning fun, even when we are teaching on four hours of sleep or have to alter our lessons to make room for a last minute assembly...ahem Tim (cough, cough)? The answer is simple for me. My motivation comes from my students. My students are my teachers. They motivate me every day, and push me to become a stronger and more effective teacher. I learn more from them than I have ever learned from any college class or workshop. They are the reason I make that early morning Wal-Mart stop for lab supplies at 5:30 AM, the reason that I can find the energy to decorate an entire school to look like the layers of the Earth until 6:30 at night, and they are the reason I am standing before you today as the Teacher of the Year.
It is up to us to continue to inspire kids. Like Mr. Primeau's quote says, we have the choice everyday what kind of teacher we are going to be for our kids. We have the choice to be that teacher. The one kids remember. The one that makes a difference. We can make it a day where the excitement for learning is insatiable. We can make it a day when students want to come to our classrooms to learn. As we say at North Middle, the choice is ours. I am so proud to represent Fort Zumwalt, the district that shaped me into the teacher and person I am today, as the Educator of the Year. A district that is full of teachers who make the choice to spark a fire inside students, and who can make an ordinary day extraordinary. I will end with describing a note that was left on my desk by a student a few months ago. The note simply said, "Thank you for understanding me." That's what it's all about. We all want someone who believes the best of us, and who takes the time to understand who we are. Thank you so much for believing the best of our students, and thank you for what you do for our kids every day. Good night."
The speech could not have gone better! I was amazed at how proud everyone was of me and how many strangers complimented me after it was over. One man said he hoped his kids would have me as a teacher someday. Another told me he if he would have had a teacher like me he would have been a scientist instead of a construction worker. A husband of one of the principals told me it was the best speech he had ever heard since he started attending these banquets when his wife became a principal, and that I should consider "moving up" with a heart like mine. I was blown away. I feel so humbled by this incredible honor. To be only four years into my career and already crowned "Teacher of the Year" is definitely quite an accomplishment. It has taken me a while to realize how proud of myself I really am, but I can tell you, standing on that stage Friday night was definitely in the top moments of my life. I am so proud, so happy, and so honored, and I could not have done it without my family, friends, teachers. and of course my KIDS!

Melissa- It's because of teachers like you that make our schools better, one of the reasons I entrusted my children's education to public school rather than home schooling them, and why long after they leave your class YOU will never be forgotten. Since both Beckey and I struggled with learning disabilities & ADD (which is a learning disability in itself) we both had a select handful of teachers that never gave up on us, that understood that it wasn't that we didn't WANT to learn it was that we needed to be taught differently- those teachers will forever stay in our hearts. We shared one of those teachers, and he came to both of our high school graduation parties (he was our 4th grade teacher & had long since retired).
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this. You are an AMAZING teacher and deserved every second of this.
Oh and Mr. Primeau if you're reading this- yep you were one of THOSE teachers for me as well!
Congratulations! I'm your newest follower!
ReplyDeleteBrittany
Sweet Seconds
Congratulations, Melissa! On your amazing spirit and passion, on your winning teacher of the year, and on your beautiful speech. Wonderful all around! You are truly an inspiration!
ReplyDeleteMelissa - Congrats on the GREAT honor! I thought your speech was totally amazing! :)
ReplyDeleteLauren
Thank you so much ladies! :)
ReplyDeleteYou give me way too many props...I wish my end-of-the-year speech was that memorable that people run down the hallway to hear it. It has evolved since then, though, and it includes many other quotes from the novels we read and the songs we listen to. Reading this blog and hearing your thoughts have made me really reexamine my own attitude, which sometimes isn't what it should be. You truly are an inspiration, even to us older teachers. You were destined for this job...you are a true people person with tremendous energy, drive, compassion, intelligence, and swag. I am honored to have been mentioned as such an influence. Thank you Melissa. I truly am grateful:)
ReplyDeleteMr. Primeau- As I stated above you were one of THOSE teachers for me as well, so I feel you aren't giving yourself enough credit here! I think it's awesome that you mentioned that you have now included the music that you listened to in your speech. As I can't think of the Hobbit or imagine what the Shire looks like without hearing Dave Matthews in my head HAHA!
DeleteAs a student that suffered from ADD I was extremely grateful for a teacher that played music in the class room. As it blocked out the little noises that tended to make me lose focus during class. Don't forget that YOU changed our lives to make us what we are today! -Danielle (Smith) Fitch (Class of 2001)