Guess what unit we are starting in Room 114?
That's right...it's time to get our space on! This is my absolute FAVORITE unit of the year! I can't wait to dive in...or perhaps...FLY in!
I am behind schedule this year as far as timing goes...so I'm not going to have as much time as I would like for my favorite unit. Plus, we have state testing as soon as we get back from Spring Break, so I'm going to have to get creative with my ideas for space this time around!
Here are some of the ideas that I will be incorporating this year (and I will be sure to blog about their effectiveness):
1. Daily "Awesome Space YouTube Video of the Day." I plan on showing an awesome, short (under 3 minutes), interesting, YouTube video at the start of most days to fascinate my kiddos. There is SO MUCH that I won't have time to cover as in depth as I would like this year (dark matter, black holes, etc) and this will allow me to incorporate that "super awesome" stuff! I'm going to begin with this awesome video from my favorite astronomer and physicist, Neil DeGrasse Tyson:
2. LOTS of science journaling! I plan on having my kiddos reflect a lot on the facts they learn, especially when we get into space exploration and discuss the shuttle program, Apollo 13, and the like.
3. Technology! To me, space and technology go hand in hand. I have included lots of resources and videos about space on my classroom website for my kids, and I plan on using those websites and videos as often as possible. There are so many new developments happening in space science every day, and I can't wait to let me kids "get their hands on" the latest and greatest technology to learn more about the universe.
4. Twitter! Our class fish follows many space-related people and businesses, including space camp, NASA, and several astronauts! We will be using Twitter a LOT more in the next few weeks to stay up to speed on the latest space information!
5. Out-Of-The-Box Teaching! This unit is definitely the unit I get the most "dressed up" for. I come to school dressed as an astronaut and Sir Isaac Newton, and it helps keep my kids engaged and gives them a good laugh as well. :)
I can't wait to get started!

Oh, I love this. Where did you get your flight suit? It's amazing!
ReplyDeleteIn other news, we seriously need to communicate more often - a shared love of Harry Potter, space, science, kids & teaching... we'd have a ton to talk about! You are an inspiring teacher - I am working out how to apply some of your fabulous ideas to my classroom! (I'm particularly interested in the dressing up as characters ideas... :) )
AGREED on the communication! We definitely must talk more! I was able to get the flight suit from a fellow teacher who had the opportunity to go to space camp two years ago! I also dress up as Sir Isaac Newton! :) I'm trying some new things with space this time around...I will be sure to let you know how it all goes!
DeleteI LOVED LOVED LOVED teaching space!! I can't wait to do it all again. I posted a few things we did in our space unit. I love the idea of dressing up! Where did you track down a space suit? When do you guys MAP test? We are testing the first week of April. Yikes!
ReplyDeleteSpace is my favorite thing to teach too! I checked out your space ideas-I LOVE your moon phases activities! I got the space suit from another teacher in my building who went to space camp two years ago-I got lucky! We MAP test the week we get back from Spring Break (we have spring break the first week of April). Ugh.
ReplyDelete