Glitter.
Glue.
Bulletin Boards.
Pocket Charts.
Classroom Jobs.
Classroom Chants...if you can hear me clap once.
And of course...the dreaded....the evil....the chaotic...centers.
I've never understood why some middle school teachers fear the classroom center. There are so many fantastic ways to incorporate learning centers into your classroom at any level. Plus, they are a great way to "check in" with your kids, and re-instruct or enrich your students.
I decided to create some learning centers for my Astronomy unit, and last week my kids had so much fun using them to review and reinforce their knowledge about space! Here are the centers I designed:
Center One: Moon "Pops"
My kids used a tennis ball on a stick, along with a lamp, to see the moon's phases. While one partner held up the "moon," the other partner sketched their observations using a clipboard, diagram, and a dry erase marker.
Center Two: Vocabulary Games
My kids used a game board from a professional development workshop and unifix cubes as markers as they asked each other to define and name different key terms from our unit. If they got the answer right, they got to roll the dice and move on the board. It was a great way to review their terms!
Center Three: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
One partner played the role of the "host," asking the other partner various questions about astronomy. If they got the answer correct, they moved up on the "money" scale!
Center Four: Eclipses and Tides
This center included a worksheet on eclipses and tides, as well as an activity where kids could position the earth, moon, and sun to represent a solar and lunar eclipse.
Center Five: Vocab Match Up and Conference With Me
The kids matched up vocabulary words and definitions, and could check their answers with an answer key, Meanwhile, I met with kids who needed extra help with concepts, !
If you are intimidated by learning centers-don't be! There are so many resources online and different activities available that you can utilize. Plus, they are a GREAT Friday activity-especially if you have kiddos that are anxious for summer vacation. :)



LOVE this! I plan to be a middle school teacher as well and I also believe in the power of centers! Thanks for posting each center, great idea!
ReplyDeleteCenters are AMAZING! :)
ReplyDelete