Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Teacher of the District

Teacher of the District.

I say it, and it still doesn't sound real. I've said it out loud countless times, and each time it still feels so strange. This feeling began a few months ago, when I found out that I had been voted "Teacher of the Year" by my colleagues at work. I couldn't believe it. I'm only a fourth year teacher. I've barely begun my career. I was so humbled, so touched by my faculty. That was already enough for me. I could barely handle all of the excitement from the wedding, and then this magnificently wonderful honor was given to me.

My flowers for NMS Teacher of the Year

Then, I found out that I had to write an essay to be considered to "win" the Teacher of the Year for the school district. Naturally, being the over-achiever that I am, I wrote a nine page essay complete with pictures detailing my many adventures in the classroom. I never thought, for a second, that I would be considered a finalist. Then, two weeks ago, I was called in for an interview with the Teacher of the Year Committee at District Office. The interview was at six in the morning. Gulp. I was so nervous as my husband dropped me off (we shared a car that morning). He was giving me a "pep talk," mentioning various things that I should be sure to include in my interview (this blog being one of them). I was shaking like a leaf as I trudged through the rainy parking lot to meet with the committee. When I sat down, I was comforted by the familiar faces of past teachers, past principals, and a teacher from my building who won District Teacher of the Year two years before. I immediately (and strangely) started to feel a sense of calm. This was my chance to express my unwavering passion for education and teaching. This was my chance to share my love for the work that I do every day with others in my district. I suddenly felt elated to share my passion, and I couldn't stop talking! I felt like the interview went well, but of course, I am my worst critic. I agonized over my answers, and came to the conclusion that I would probably not be considered because of my age and years of experience in the classroom.


Then, this morning, an "emergency faculty meeting" was called at 7:00 AM. I followed my colleagues into our school's meeting room, expecting to hear bad news. (We have only had emergency meetings when there was been a death). I looked to one of my science department members, and she replied, "I think this is a good thing. I have a good feeling about this." I then looked on in amazement as the Teacher of the Year committee and District Superintendent filed into the meeting room. My heart stopped. I can't even remember breathing as my superintendent of personnel announced that I was the recipient of the DISTRICT TEACHER OF THE YEAR! I was selected out of the entire school district! ME! Melissa! The crazy science teacher who dressed like Sir Isaac Newton last Wednesday (which happened to be the day that they took my picture for the teacher of the year slideshow haha). I am so incredibly humbled and honored. I feel amazing to represent the district that I graduated from, after only four years of teaching.


Flowers from my friend Amanda! (She surprised me at school!)

This whole experience got me thinking about one of the questions I was asked in my interview for District Teacher of the Year: What does teacher of the year mean to you? To me, teacher of the year means setting a positive example and being a leader among your teaching community. The teacher of the year is someone who advocates for what is right in education, and who supports and promotes positive change. The teacher of the year does whatever it takes to motivate, inspire, and encourage kids and other teachers, and I am beyond elated to continue spreading my passion in my new role as my district's teacher of the year. I am so excited to share this experience with all of you fellow teaching bloggers (and other teachers) out there! I share this experience with you and couldn't imagine a more supportive, inspiring, and motivating teaching community! YOU inspire me to be better every day!


Now, it's time to celebrate! What better way than by teaching moon phases? :)

14 comments:

  1. WOW! I got all teary and goose-bumpy reading this CONGRATS!! Now I have to go and double post and share with everyone the news!!

    Misty
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS, MELISSA! How wonderful! You definitely deserve it - everything I've read of yours shows you are an amazing teacher. I want to be like you - you are an inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWW YAYAYAYYAYAYAYA! Congrats Melissa!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much ladies!!!! :) I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. He was beyond excited! And he took me out to PF Changs to celebrate! :)

      Delete
  6. Congrats! I'm here thanks to Misty at Think, Wonder & Teach...I'm a new follower. I can't wait to read more.

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I look forward to reading your blog too!!! :)

      Delete
  7. Congrats! I'm a new follower thanks to Think, Wonder and Teach. I can't wait to read more.

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  8. CONGRATS! What an amazing award, and only your 4th year! I wanna be in your classroom :) I can't wait to read more!

    Chelsea
    www.mypinkscribbles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa,

    WOW! Congratulations! I am a new follower to your blog and see your heart already shining through each post! Each kiddo you teach is blessed to have you as their teacher!

    We in Bloggyland are blessed to know you! =)

    Bloggy blessings!

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...