1. Setting Up Ahead of Time is Key.
I set up all of my labs for the following day BEFORE I leave school. Sometimes this can take a lo-ong time. (Especially if the lab requires lots of materials). I always set out any handouts/journal pages associated with the lab ahead of time too...just so I can be ready to go when my first period kids come tromping in.
2. Practice, Practice, Practice!
Practice cleaning up labs with your kids. Some of them might not be aware of your expectations, and it's very important that each class knows how to clean up the labs, and set the labs up, for the next group of kids. Not to mention, it's important that your kids know what they are allowed to do and not do in lab situations. I have a very strict rule that kids are NOT allowed to touch any lab equipment (whether it's on their desk or not) until I've instructed them to do so. This even includes simple equipment like rulers and sponges. Model your expectations for your kids whenever possible to keep everyone on the same page.
3. Establish "Jobs" In Lab Groups
Having your kids assign a "materials fetcher" or a "sink person" helps with traffic control. I usually have them "assign" their jobs before handing them any materials. It can become very crowded at the sink in my room if this step is forgotten...
4. Ask for Help with Materials.
I always set out a "wish list" at Open House for my parents detailing which lab items I would love to have donated. It's amazing what support you can find from your own families, and many parents are more than willing to stop by and pick up plastic cups or a tub of cool whip. It never hurts to ask.
5. Time is Everything.
With only an hour to complete any lab, it's imperative that every second is used wisely. Keep your eye on the clock and make sure to give your kids enough time for prep and clean up. After a few labs, they will learn to manage their time all on their own! It's pretty amazing!
Of course, these are not the "golden rules" of prepping labs for middle schoolers, but they seem to work well for me!




No comments:
Post a Comment