Basically, I decorate our classroom to look like a "school bus" that takes my kids and I on an adventure through the Earth's crust, mantle, and core! When they enter, they sign the registrar, grab their science journal, and take a seat to prepare for a journey of a lifetime!
I decorate three different spots to resemble the crust, mantle, and core. For the crust, my kids go outside. For the mantle, I decorate an "end" of the 8th grade hallway. Finally, for the core, we head down to the super-hot laundry room. As we travel, I point out various facts to my kiddos and they make notes on what they observe.
When we come back from our "journey," my kids write a letter detailing the events of the journey. It is such an amazing day for my kids and I, and it makes for a great learning experience that I hope they remember for a lifetime!








Your blog rocks! I am a 6th grade ELA teacher and completely love your blog even though we teach different subjects. I actually told our schools 7th grade science teacher about your blog a few days ago and I am going to email her your link in just a sec. Thanks for all the amazing ideas! I loved your journey to the center of the earth/school bus idea. You are so fabulous!
ReplyDeleteOh, and thanks for the "monster/soon to be" cookies recipe!
I would love to know more details about this lesson!
ReplyDeleteHi I just discovered your blog. You have a lot of creative ideas. I love the idea of incorporating a skit into learning. Can you send me more details of how you made various places look like the parts of the earth? Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThis is fantastic! How did you decorate each layer?
ReplyDelete