This week I have the honor of speaking at my school district's new teacher orientation (the District Teacher of the year speaks every year). I can speak about whatever I want...but...
My question is...what advice/wisdom/etc. do YOU wish someone had told you before you started your very first year of teaching? I have a few ideas...but I need your help! What do you wish you had known?
Thank you in advance for your suggestions and help! :)
Also, it's a new month which means a new Currently from Farley!



Hi! I am following your Currently so just stopped by to say hello. How exciting to be house hunting tomorrow. I love looking at houses.
ReplyDeleteIf I was a brand new teacher I would want to be told that one cannot do it all. With all the standards and testing that is required of students today--just try to focus on making each day a positive one for your class!
Thanks Jeanne! :)
ReplyDeleteI think that teaching is an art. As a new teacher, I often felt like I couldn't move on until every single child mastered what we were working on. That's just not realistic. I got behind in a hurry! Stay with the pace of the Scope & Sequence and create a way to make sure you are meeting with those who are lagging behind a bit. They all get it eventually! You will find what works for you. Trust in yourself and your abilities. You are the expert in the room with kids and parents!
ReplyDeleteDiane
Teaching with Moxie
Here are a few things that I wish people had told me my first year of teaching:
ReplyDelete**you can not do it all
*It is ok to say,"no."
*Try and do your lesson plans during the week..instead of every Sunday afternoon.
*Stay away from negative people
*Don't be afraid to ask questions
*Take time for your self.
May you have a wonderful year ahead.