Lucy is looking forward to Shark Week this summer.
In my school, the end of the school year is filled with yearbook signing assemblies, our final Team Raffle, locker clean out, textbook check in, etc. It's very chaotic, and finding time to sit down and reflect with your kids is a challenge. Here are some of the "reflection" activities I do with my kiddos.
First, I send home a parent survey. The survey details questions about how the parents feel I was as a teacher, asking them to give me feedback for next year. Sure, some teachers may think of this as a "risk," but asking my parents for feedback has always been very helpful and constructive. Parents are as big of a part as the learning process as we let them, and it's important to let them know that their opinion matters.
My students also fill out a survey. They rank their favorite units and activities, and list suggestions for the next school year. I love the responses they come up with!
Finally, my kids fill out a "Science Memories" sheet. The sheet is filled with sentence starters such as "Mrs. Tackett, you really made me laugh when..." "I'll never forget the time..." "My favorite day was..." I keep these memories sheets in binders, and they are fun to look back on when I need a smile on those rough teaching days.
My kids also are able to film themselves talking about their favorite memories for an end-of-the-year video that is shown at our Snaps Celebration-which I will talk more about in a future post!
What do you do for reflection activities in your classroom?


I love that they can film video messages! That is such a great idea-I may need to steal that for our 6th Grade Send Off!
ReplyDeleteI have my kids write letters to next year's class. They were told to think of advice that would be helpful to the new 6th graders, things they learned during the year that they wish they had known at the beginning of the year. I was so proud of their responses! I'm planning on posting some of them later this week, but it was a really great activity.
I'm also thinking about making a class memory book to keep in our class library as a kind of class yearbook (primarily for me to enjoy).
Laura
Will Grade For Coffee
I love the letter idea too! The Communication Arts teacher on my team does that, and the kids love writing them! :)
ReplyDelete