Every year Mr. Ulmer, my advanced biology teacher, would "act out" the famous Dr. Seuss story The Lorax for his classes. It became legendary, and kids would come back every year to see his outstanding performance. I remember watching him thinking, "That's how I want to be. I want to be the kind of teacher that creates fantastic memories like this for my students." Mr. Ulmer was the kind of teacher that you never forget. Kids didn't want to disappoint him, and he had some of the BEST classroom management I had ever witnessed. When I started teaching, I e-mailed Mr. Ulmer and asked him if I could "carry on" the Lorax tradition with my sixth graders. He, of course, was overjoyed and said yes. To this day it is the highlight of my year, and the "favorite" day of many of my students. Here is how it all goes down:
First, I tell only a few students about the special plans for Earth Day. Those students stay in with me during lunch and one day after school to help me decorate the classroom (it's a BIG job and takes a LOT of time). I also inform my kids to, "Wear GREEN" on Earth Day to show their spirit!
Then, on Earth Day Eve, we decorate. It usually takes a few hours.
On Earth Day, as the kiddos come in, they are greeted with this:
I also play music from the Broadway show, "Seussical" as they come in as well-just for extra fun!
I start by telling them about Mr. Ulmer and the impact he had on me, and then I go into my performance! I use my document camera to project pages from the book on the whiteboard, but I have a typed out script that I use to act out the different roles.
I have "The Oncelers" house...where I can peek out through the opening...
And my own stuffed Lorax. He acts like a puppet for most of the event.
After the story, the kids pose for a class picture, and I hand out stickers with the word, "Unless" on them that they can proudly wear for the rest of the day. The word unless comes from the story.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
I LOVE this day! It takes a LOT of work, but it is so worth it! Seeing my former kids come back this morning to pop their heads in and take a peek at the decorations just speaks volumes. I hope that Mr. Ulmer would be proud...and I sure hope I can make as much of a difference in the lives of my kiddos as he did in mine!
Here are some photos from previous Earth Days in my class! (This year we didn't have any green chart paper, so we used purple for the grass-I like the green a lot better).
Happy Earth Day everyone!











Melissa- This is absolutely AMAZING! Not that I would expect anything less from someone who was apart of the same drama club as I was (even if it was at different times ;) ) I recently took my kids to see the new Lorax movie in theaters (we have ALL the original Dr. Seuss movies already and have been getting the new ones as well as they have released them). They did an great job with the new movie & I was SO moved by it that I decided that I will be making and "UNLESS" stone for our garden this year. I'm sure I'll take pictures of it & post it on FB when I do. Would you like me to tag you in it so you don't miss it?
ReplyDeleteAgain you did a wonderful job, and there isn't a doubt in my mind that you students will forever remember this lesson. Along with the amazing teacher that taught it to them. It's NO WONDER why you received Teacher of the Year, and was well deserved!
Amazing!! I am so impressed!
ReplyDeleteAdorable! Come teach science with me in New York! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you ladies! It is so much work, but so worth it!
ReplyDelete