Monday, April 16, 2012

I Can't Live Without...

I was thinking the other day about the everyday pleasures that I "can't live without" so to speak. Sure, there are luxuries like Netflix, air conditioning, flip flops, and other things that I can't "live" without at home...but what about at school? Here is what I've come up with so far...feel free to throw your ideas in!

1. Coffee. I know, it's bad. But I must have it it survive. I've even tried going without it as my own little "experiment" to see if it truly affects my day. And it does. Drastically! Now that it is warm, I've been making iced coffee. :) Mmmm...


2. MY Pens. That's right. MY pens. Is anyone else like that? I have to have my particular brand, color, and style of pen near me at all times. I can't settle for just "any" pen anymore. When I got back from my wedding, I freaked out upon noticing that many of MY pens on my desk were missing. I think some of my kiddos "borrowed" some and then forgot to give them back.


3. Rainbow Expo Markers. My husband has put the Costco pack of Expo markers in my stocking every year for as long as I can remember! I can't live without those colors! :)


4. YouTube. Now that my school has opened up YouTube access for teachers, it has changed my world! There are so many fantastic science raps, commercials, and video clips that relate to my objectives. The other day my kiddos were talking about the game "Angry Birds in Space," and we were able to pull up a clip of the astronauts on the ISS playing real life "angry birds in space." It was amazing! Technology is changing education for the better!



5. Friday Jeans Day. I definitely live for Fridays, and for jeans. What is it about wearing jeans that makes you feel...happier? Sure, I always feel more in control when I'm dressed up, but when I'm wearing jeans I just feel like the world is a bit sunnier.



6. Smelly Stickers. One of my closest friends Missy used to tell me that middle schoolers would do ANYTHING for smelly stickers. I never truly believed her until I started my "Woot Wall" this year! Smelly stickers are worth the price-my kids will do anything for them!


7. Plastic Tubs and Plastic Binders. I have decided that I need organization in my life in order to function. My classroom is labeled, color coded, you name it. Sure, it's a little crazy, but it works. It's efficient. And it makes life easier on both me and my kiddos.





8. My Big Windows. I love my big windows, especially during this time of year when I can open them and let some fresh air into my classroom! Ahhh....


9. My Clipboards. I don't know what I'd do without my clipboards. I am constantly walking around my classroom assessing kiddos, and my clipboards allow me to jot down my observations. Also, my classroom set of clipboards are WONDERFUL for labs and centers! Every teacher should have a classroom set!




10. My BPC (Big Purple Chair). My BPC was a gift from one of my students last year, and it is probably my favorite piece of furniture in my classroom. I can lean back during my plan period and take a deep, comfortable breath, or roll around my classroom while my students are working when I'm pretending to be either Professor X or "Robot Tackett." :)


What can you not live without?

5 comments:

  1. I love your list! I am definitely a caffeine drinker.. I mix it up between red bull and coffee. SBux holds a special place in my heart. I also LOVE wearing jeans to school.. something about those jeans that just makes me heart skip a beat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of treating myself to some SBux tomorrow morning...now that you posted that comment of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disinfecting/baby wipes! Google!

    :)

    Cute list Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't live without my apron (Black, waist-type, 3 pocket)! It makes me a sane teacher! Contents: band-aids, keys (on a twisty-wrist stretchy holder), tickets (both positive & behavior/consequence variety), pens (to fill out those tickets!), cell phone, Blistex (haven't gone a day in 30 years without using this!) and a few Kleenex...sounds like a lot, but it's very convenient and I don't know why I didn't do this 20 years ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...