I came up with a great way to both call on students at random while incorporating my science vocabulary words...check it out!
At each table I place two green vocabulary words, one for each seat. I use vocabulary words from every unit that we cover in the year, and have two words at every single table.
When I want to call on a student at random, I simply pull out a Popsicle stick and shout out the vocabulary word. The kids frantically look at their desk to see if I have called on them, and they LOVE it! The other day one of my kiddos mentioned, "Hey! I finally learned what my word means Miss Evans! My word is epicenter. It's the point right above the focus in an Earthquake!" Not only am I holding them accountable (and keeping them on their toes), I am building vocabulary skills. What a winning combination.
I also used this to assign my seats on the first day of school. As the kids came in, I had them draw out a Popsicle stick to find their seat. Even though it was random, it was a fun way to have them enter my room on that scary first day!
How do you hold your kids accountable? What systems have you used to call on your students at random?




No comments:
Post a Comment