Friday, September 23, 2011

Celebrating the Equinox

I really enjoy celebrating the small things in my classroom. Whether it's the anniversary of the moon landing, the Mythbusters season premiere (more on that next week), or even a famous scientist's birthday, I think it's fun to celebrate in the classroom every so often. It helps keep the classroom atmosphere exciting and relevant, not to mention it is just plain fun. Today was the autumnal equinox. For all of you non-science nerds out there, that means the start of fall. Today the sun is directly over the Earth's equator, which means today we experience "equal day and night." Here is what we did in my classroom today to celebrate this celestial "holiday."

First, I made some fun stickers using neon labels for my kiddos. They had fun wearing them today around the school.  It was just a fun way to display our love for the equinox. My kids got a kick out of me describing my "trip" to Party City where I searched for decorative banners, paper plates, etc. inspired by the Autumnal Equinox, only to leave disappointed and empty-handed. Of course, I didn't really go to Party City (and of course they figured that out), but I did think it was fun giving my kids something to wear and display today.
I also gave them some lollipops, since I am such a "sucker" for science-themed celebrations. Haha, get it? I also told my kiddos that it was funny that I gave them a lollipop since they could technically use their lollipop as a model of planet Earth, and their head as a model of the sun (since the sizes are about right). Then, if they held their lollipop out directly in front of their face it could "represent" the equinox. Yeah, I know it's far-fetched, but hey, it's fun. It helps show my kiddos how truly excited I am about science, and excitement is definitely contagious.

What do you do to celebrate the small things in life, or in your classroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...