Friday, September 9, 2011

One Extra Day

This week was one of those weeks that really made me step back and examine the way I teach. The unit that I am currently working on with my kids is "The Scientific Method." In case you aren't a science nerd like me, "The Scientific Method" is basically teaching the kiddos about how to come up with scientific questions, set up experiments, analyze data, and draw conclusions. It is, without a doubt, the most important unit I teach. This unit is what science is all about-critical thinking, applying your knowledge, re-testing your ideas, etc.! Moreover, this unit (and the lessons within it) extend into the rest of the year's units as well. It is imperative that my kids leave this unit as confident, budding scientists who can apply their knowledge to every lesson/lab/activity in the future.


Last week I introduced variables and controls. Yuck. This is always a tough concept for some of my "wittle" sixth graders to grasp. Some of them catch on right away, but for others it sometimes takes 2-3 days of practice to fully grasp the idea. Just in case, I set aside three days of fun activities, lessons, and even a few "Mythbusters" clips to help them understand.

Then...after three days...I was ready to assess. And you know what happened? My kids BOMBED. Some even had tears over their homework assignment. I received a frantic email from a kiddo at ten c'clock who was panicking over the assignment. At first, I was completely devastated. Hadn't I worked so hard to ensure that every learning style was met? Hadn't I provided plenty of guided practice and group activities? Why weren't they getting it? I felt completely useless...a feeling I'm not that used to as a teacher. This meant that I would need to re-teach everything all over again. I wouldn't be able to move on to the fun lab I had planned for Friday if they couldn't understand variables.

And then I remembered something...this is what teaching is all about. It's not about what I have "planned" for the day. It's about making sure I do everything I possibly can to help my students learn and feel successful. So today I went over their assignment with them step by step. We talked as a class about their responses and "graded" it. I told them I wanted to collect it so that I could see exactly where they were struggling, but they could rest assured knowing it would not go in my grade book. Then, as a class we did some fun labs/demonstrations and identified the variables and controls...and you know what? They got it. It was like a light switch was turned on in their brains.They just needed that one extra day of hands-on practice. At the end of the hour they were all smiles as I handed them their NEW assessment, re-written and more clear than their last. I even saw some of them turn to another and say, "This is so easy now." And as they left, I gave them their high five (we do "High Five Fridays) and told them to have a great weekend and to keep practicing. It was so...rewarding knowing that my kids left feeling confident and prepared for the days ahead.

I had to take a moment to let it all sink in as I watched them self-assuredly working on their homework assignment. This is what teaching is all about. Watching kids learn, and helping motivate them to succeed. Seeing them beam with pride knowing that they understand a new and difficult concept. Helping give them the will-power they need to realize that they can accomplish anything they set their minds to. 

Sometimes that one extra day is all anyone needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...