Me in High School (in the middle)
That whimsical, theatrical personality often finds its way into my teaching style. It isn't unusual for me to dress up as a character...
Transform my room into a "scene"...
Last week, I was teaching my kids about Continental Drift and Alfred Wegener's theory of Pangaea. For those of you that don't know the story of dear old Alfie, check out this YouTube video:
Basically, no one believed Alfred's theory because he couldn't explain WHY the continents were moving, even though he had lots of evidence that Pangaea once existed. How does this tie in with "acting" you ask? Well...
I had my kids create skits about Alfred's theory and they were AMAZING! The only requirements were that their skits had to "argue" (a Common Core objective) for Alfred's theory and present his three types of evidence, address the "opposing side," and be at least a minute long. Let me tell you...my kids BLEW ME AWAY! There were skits featuring Alfred as a ghost...
Skits where Alfred was on "trial...."
It just goes to show you, "acting out" can have its rewards!





Great idea!! I love reader's theater and incorporating theatre in to the classroom. Great post!
ReplyDeleteI just found your blog and I have been reading all night! LOVE your middle school focus! :)
ReplyDelete