Monday, November 26, 2012

A "Cool" Lab for Plate Tectonics!

We recently finished learning about the layers of the Earth and plate tectonics in my classroom, and let me tell you, my kids LOVED this unit! They were completely enamored with every lesson and totally rocked their exam!

One of my favorite labs for this unit is my Cool Whip/Graham Cracker Plate Tectonics Lab. In this lab students use cool whip to represent the asthenosphere (the second layer of the Earth's mantle) and graham crackers to represent tectonic plates in the lithosphere. Students get to move the graham crackers in different ways to represent the different types of plate boundaries on planet Earth! It is definitely an awesome way to tie everything together in one "cool" lab!


My students bring in the food supplies for this lab. I usually use 3 tubs of cool whip and 3 boxes of graham crackers per class! (With the amount of cool whip leftover from Thanksgiving this lab is perfect around this time of year too!)






This lab is excellent-and the students get to nibble on their plates and mantle after they are finished! What better way to review for a test? Here is a copy of the lab if you are interested in using it in your classroom!

2 comments:

  1. I am currently a student pursuing my degree in Elementary Education. In my science class, my classmates and I are presenting many experiments and activities. I believe that this lab would be a great hands on lab for students. I would like to use this in my future classroom some day! I also love the idea of doing it after a holiday because who doesn't have extra cool whip then! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What text do you use from which the students find their answers?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...