Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Early Bird Catches the Worm

Currently, I have been busy teaching the scientific method, which is truly, my favorite part of teaching science. I love teaching the ins and outs of what makes an experiment fantastic, and love my culminating assessment: the diet coke and mentos experiment!

However, for some of my little ducks, variables and controls can be rather tricky. At the middle school level we work a lot harder at identifying the independent and dependent variable in experiments as well as the control. I've been hard at work teaching this objective for five days, but at some point, it's time to move along.

The view from Wal-Mart at 6:00 AM when I picked up breakfast goodies.

On Monday I decided to give my kiddos the option of coming in early Tuesday morning (around six thirty) for a study session. I told them that if they wanted to come I needed their parents to email me or text me by 10:00 P.M. Monday evening. By ten o'clock, I had received over 30 responses! That's close to 30 percent of my entire group of kiddos!

Donuts always make study sessions better!

On Tuesday morning, bright and early, over 35 kids attended my study session. I brought in some breakfast goodies and snacks, and together my kiddos and I worked hard until 7:00 AM to master variables and controls. As I walked them down the hall, they thanked me for spending my morning with them and helping them learn. It was a really special moment.

The early bird catches the worm for sure!

1 comment:

  1. That is SOOOOOO awesome! 30% of your students, so amazing. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...