Monday, January 30, 2012

This Has Gotta Be The Good Life...

Could someone pinch me please? I must be dreaming. Or daydreaming. Or something...

Friday, my principals walked into the library where I was working with my kids and announced that I am North Middle School's nominee for Teacher of the Year! What?!?

I still can't believe it. Me? Melissa? The crazy fourth year teacher who dresses up like Sir Isaac Newton and prances around the school in character all day while receiving strange looks from students and faculty alike? The teacher who decorates the school to look like the layers of the Earth? This can't be.

As I held the giant, beautiful bouquet of flowers and held back tears as my students and principals applauded, I couldn't help but feel honored and proud. I'm so proud to represent my school. I'm so proud of the work that I do every day for my kids. I would do anything for them...and this job is the best job in the world (even when times are rough). I'm proud of how far I've come since my first year teaching, and I know I'll continue to be proud of myself in the years to come. I am on cloud nine. :)


They announced my name over the announcements at the end of the school day as I was walking my kids back to our classroom (flowers in hand). Then, as the bell dismissed kids for the day, I was even more taken by my former kids congratulating me as they exited their classrooms. I was hugged, high-fived, and applauded more times than I can count. When I reached the sixth grade hall, my kiddos (that were not in my sixth hour) started cheering. It was a bigger-than-me moment that I will never forget.

I feel so lucky and so humbled by all of the kindness shown to me in the past month. I thought that after we entered (and later won) the Mega Wedding that life couldn't get any better. Well...someone pinch me...because this has gotta be the good life. :) Thank you so much North Middle School...I am so lucky to be part of you and am so thankful that you voted for me Teacher of the Year. I will never forget this moment. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I would love to know how you made your school into the layers of the Earth! :) Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...