Friday, October 21, 2011

Conference Survival- How I Do It

Alas, I am still feeling rather poopy. This week was, by far, the most eventful/stressful/bursting at the seams week of the year. One of those events was parent teacher conferences. The event that makes most teachers go from this...

To this...

Personally, I have always rather enjoyed parent teacher conferences. I like talking with the parents of my kiddos and learning more about them. I enjoy asking questions, and finding out what "science-y" things my students are engaging in outside of my classroom. Most of the time, parent-teacher conferences re-affirm that what I am doing in my classroom is working.

However, there are of course small details that prove to be rather time consuming about conferences every year. For starters, at my building parents schedule to meet with one teacher from the team (that is chosen for them after they have ranked their top 1, 2, and 3rd picks). Then, every teacher from the team who is NOT meeting with that parent has to fill out a performance evaluation sheet on how that student is doing in their particular class. After filling that out, we are to hand over our evaluation sheets to the teacher who is conferencing with that parent. It takes a LONG time to fill out those forms on every kiddo whose parents we aren't seeing on conference night. Plus, I always fill them out for my parents that I am meeting with because the sheets are pretty darn handy. After finishing those forms, the paper work for the parents is complete.

I not only show my parents the evaluation forms, but I also show them some self-evaluation forms that my kiddos fill out every quarter on their progress in science. It is nice showing the parents what their child thinks of their own accomplishments and behaviors. I also show them the "pre-assessments" and "post-assessments" that my kids fill out in their science journals before and after each unit.


Then, it's time to bring the necessities for me. Since the first night of conferences lasts from 4:00-9:00, I hardly ever go home in between school and conferences. I usually pack a bag with my "conference clothes," body spray, deodorant, lotion, and makeup. Sometimes I even pack a hair straightener. You may laugh, but it helps save me time and I always feel more prepared for conferences when I look the part. Maybe it's the theatre actress in me. :)

Next, it's time for the room set up, as well as the set up outside my room. Here is what I have found works best for me on conference night. First, I'm going to show you the inside of my room.


I like the "L" setup because it allows for me to easily access my kids' science journals, as well as provide some desk space for me to keep all of those evaluation forms. It also is very open and inviting (the solar system fabric is a nice touch too). I once had a professor that told me that teachers should never conference from behind their desk, because it sends too much of an "authoritarian" vibe to the parents. Personally, I don't particularly agree  or disagree with that (I just want to be comfortable), but I do think having the open space between me and the parents allows for effective communication that puts everyone at ease. It also gives the younger siblings that usually tag along some space to move around and explore my room.

Now, onto the outside of my classroom!

 I like to set up a table with some chairs for parents who are waiting, or who want to drop by. I always put some kid-friendly science books outside for the little siblings. :)


As well as handouts for our classroom website


 And forms that parents can fill out in case they want to conference with me at a later date. I also put a clipboard with my schedule for the evening or day indicating what times I am already conferencing, and what times I have available.


Oh, and did I mention our conferences were during game one of the World Series? :)

So there you have it: my conference survival guide. This year they went very well. I think the World Series definitely impacted the turnout for some parents, but overall I got to meet with many of my kiddos' families. The icing on the cake though, was this card that was left on my desk Thursday afternoon after 6th hour from one of my sweet kids (whose parents I did not conference with). The post-it is covering his name.


Don't those notes just remind you how it's all just so worth all of the time, energy, and creativity that we teachers spend on our kids? Just reading it again now makes me smile. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love your conference ideas. I think I will definitely put stuff outside of my room this year. Plus, I LOVE your website. It's everything I'd like for my site to be. I'm still working on it - I only got permission to have one a few months ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I would love to see your site! Putting stuff outside of my room has always helped keep people outside "busy." :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...