Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Little Bit Easier

Needless to say, it has been a VERY long week. I started off Monday being sicker than a dog (and still am battling away at this nasty ear infection/sinus infection), had to stay late on Tuesday due to the Fall play, and just now am getting home due to parent teacher conferences (more on that tomorrow). 

I. Am. Exhausted.

However, I thought today I would fill you all in on how my new classroom management tool is working out. Remember when I posted this awesome idea that I found on First Grade Glitter and Giggle's blog?

Well, I adapted this idea into my own "Chart of sorts." Here is a breakdown of the final product:



Basically, when the kids come in I place check marks next to the items that apply to the activity for the day and place an "x" next to the items that do not apply to the day's agenda. That way, as my ducklings come in they can immediately see if they need their textbook or science journal, and see if they are watching "Mythbusters" and/or doing a lab that day. Then, as we complete activities, I place checks and "x's" as they apply to the given activity. For example, today in my sixth hour they worked on an activity in their science journal, so I placed a check next to the "keep in journal/folder" picture and an "x" by the "turn it in"picture. Since the activity was a group note taking exercise, I also checked the "talk to friends-noise okay" picture as well as the "talk to Evans" picture. I checked both of the pictures "work around the room" and "stay at seat/lab table." The kids get instant feedback as to what my expectations are, and can glance up to the whiteboard if they need a little reminder as well. 

It has been AWESOME!

I can't even begin to describe how much easier it has made my day! I no longer am asked the same repetitive questions every hour like, "Are we watching Mythbusters today?" or "Do we need our science journals?" Plus, the kids help by informing each other when I erase/change the checks and "x's." Sometimes I hear my reliable students whisper, "_________(insert name of student here), you need to get your textbook. See how Miss Evans has checked by that picture?" Also, I have started including the page numbers from the textbook that we use that day as well as the journal entry numbers next to my check marks. Today I noticed that several of my kiddos had already labeled their journal and had their textbooks ALREADY OPENED TO THE RIGHT PAGE when I began class! Yahoo!

It's the little things that truly make life a little bit easier, even on a parent teacher conference day.

Sidenote: like my new name plate outside my door? My parents got a real kick out of it. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...