Sunday, October 9, 2011

Blog-Spiration

I have been getting more and more comments and compliments about my blog lately, mostly from friends and co-workers. It seems strange that just six months ago I didn't even have a blog, and never imagined that I would even start one. I never dreamed that I would have so much fun coming up with ideas for crafts/gifts, experimenting with new recipes, and sharing life inside my classroom and home with so many people. Blogging has really opened my eyes to so many new things, and I thought I would focus my post today on my blogging "inspiration"- Kristen. More specifically, Kristen from The Concrete Runner.


Weird story. I actually have known Kristen (well known of her) since my freshmen year of high school. Back then, I dated a boy named Mike whose twin brother Matt was dating a girl named Julie (who he is now married too and expecting a baby girl-HOORAY)! Julie had a best friend named Kristen who I had met a few times at various gatherings and heard a lot about.

Then, Kolby started working at a middle school in Francis Howell. He kept telling me about his awesome friend Matt (different Matt than the one mentioned above) and his wife Kristen. He told me that they were huge Food Network fans like us, and that they were actually going to be at the same Alton Brown book signing as us and I would finally get to meet them. When we saw them, I kept thinking to myself how familiar Kristen looked, but I couldn't quite place her. Finally, one day I asked Kolby, "Was her name Kristen Scheller? Was she friends with Julie Harrer?" Kolby asked Matt, Kristen's husband, and found out that she was indeed the same Kristen from my high school past, and told me that Kristen had been thinking that I also looked familiar! We became friends on Facebook, and that's where the blogging story begins.

I started reading Kristen's blog since it was linked to her Facebook profile.Kristen's blog is a healthy living blog full of awesome ideas.  I loved reading all of her recipes,  finding new places to try frozen custard, and even finding out about her pregnancy (and being able to tell Kolby since he no longer works at the middle school). I even told Kolby, "It seems weird...I feel like we are friends even though we never hang out because I read about her life so much on her blog." Kolby replied, "Yeah, that's the brilliance of social media!" with a smile on his face.

Reading Kristen's blog inspired me to start my own. While mine isn't necessarily a healthy living blog, and is more of a hodge-podge of recipes, cupcake baking, teaching advice/ideas, and other miscellaneous ideas, her dedication to running, staying active, and her consistent "blogging updates" help me set my own goals for my own blog. I love how she has used her blog to document her pregnancy, and I can't wait to do the same someday. I know I am already anticipating reading about her new little girl (who should be born any day now)  and can't wait to share ideas and have conversations with her when I have my own kids someday.

I know some of you non-bloggers may not understand the value of the friendships and conversations shared through blogging, but for me, I am so glad that to have gained this insight and friendship with Kristen and so many other bloggers out there over the past six months. If you are thinking about starting your own blog, I highly encourage you to, and definitely check out Kristen's awesome blog (my blog-spiration) The Concrete Runner!

Thanks Kristen, and good luck this week!

1 comment:

  1. Aw, thanks Melissa! I absolutely LOVE your blog! You are an excellent writer and such a passionate teacher - it makes me excited to have a "classroom" (gym) of my own someday! I definitely agree that non-bloggers might not understand. I have this huge group of friends I have gotten to know through blogging who I now consider really good friends even though we have never met before in real life. Blogging has opened up a ton of doors for me and I can't imagine NOT doing it anymore!

    I'm so sad I couldn't get you that wooden spoon at the book signing - hopefully he will come back again and we can all go together again! The science teacher from my school was there with us and she LOVES your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...