Thursday, June 9, 2011

When Life Hands You Lemons...

     So I'm officially on summer vacation! Which means, I have a lot of extra time on my hands to devote to organizing, personal growth, and achieving my numerous summer goals! My summer vacation began with this conversation with my lovely boyfriend, Kolby.

Kolby: "Your feet are really gross from wearing flip flops all the time."

Me: "They are not! I clean them!"

Kolby: "No seriously, they are all black on the bottom."

Me: (in a dignified voice) "Shut it-they are not."

     Later, after Kolby walked away (so I could hide my shame), I looked at the bottom of my feet to see that he was indeed correct. My feet were nasty, even though I shower and clean them sometimes twice a day. Flip flops equal dirt creeping under your tosies no matter what precautions one takes. However, I love flip flops, and my summer shoe collection consists of nothing but flip flops and sandals. What was a girl to do? (Besides clean them again?)

     The solution? Work on one of my many summer goals: DIY home products! I decided to look up some different recipes for foot scrubs and came across this delightful creation from thebeautydepartment.com  (Lauren Conrad from "The Hills" is one of the creators of this website).

5 tablespoons sea salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
Juice from a lemon

     All the recipe called for was to mix the sea salt and the olive oil together and then add the lemon. It seemed incredibly summer-y and the perfect solution to my foot dilemma. I gathered my supplies:
First, I mixed the sea salt and olive oil together and then added the juice from four lemons. (I quadrupled the recipe so that I could keep a stash of foot scrub on hand for a while). Here is what the scrub looked like:
     Then, I decided to add it to one of my many empty mason jars that I had laying around. First though, I had to add some cute sticker letters to make the jar more "Melissa."


     It looked adorable! The result? The scrub was AMAZING! My feet smell lemon-y fresh and are softer than ever! I plan on making more of this scrub as I run out and keeping it in my bathroom. I think this product would make a great summer gift for friends as well-and it just looks so dang cute in my bathroom!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I am going to have to try it out...I don't have mason jars but I will figure something out!
    PS keep the post coming you are a great distraction from studying : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...