Friday, June 17, 2011

The Cutest Coasters I Ever Did See

So far, summer is going very well! I have been tackling a lot of housework and organization, working on some things for school, and spending time working on some DIY house stuff! One of my favorite projects from this week was making some cute DIY coasters that I found through the most amazing website in the world:  Pinterest. I am completely, utterly, beyond obsessed with this site, and I have probably easily spent 10+ hours on in this summer.


First, I gathered my materials:


4 square tiles (4.25" x 4.25") -I got these from Home Depot for 10 cents a piece!
4 pieces of scrapbook paper
4 pieces of felt 

Mod Podge  -Can be found at Michaels
Sponge brush -See above
Glue (i.e. Fabri-tac or other strong adhesive) -I used Extra strong Tacky Glue
Clear acrylic sealer -I found this at Wal-Mart and Michaels



After I made it home with my goodies, I cut each piece of my scrapbook paper into 4" by 4" squares. I bought four different pieces of paper so that I could have four different finished coasters.  I also choose paper that had interesting patterns and/or designs to make the coasters really pop. The paper fit perfectly in the center of my tiles, and there was still a little border or tile exposed around the perimeter. 


Then, I used my sponge brush and painted on a thin layer of Mod Podge on top of the tile. The Mod 
Podge was thicker than glue in its consistency and definitely easier and less messy to use. After that, I layed one of my cut pieces of scrapbook paper on top of the tile. It looked like this after I had finished most of my tiles.





After letting the paper dry, I applied another layer of Mod Podge using the sponge brush over each tile and then let it dry for 15 minutes. I repeated this process three more times to make sure that my scrapbook paper was completely secured.


Then, I transported my tiles outside and sprayed them with the  clear acrylic sealer. I sprayed the tiles using a back and forth motion and repeated the process a few times to ensure that they would be water resistant. Then, I let them dry.


Finally, I cut my pieces of felt into 4" by 4" squares and used the fabric glue to glue them on the back of the tiles. This will make the coasters safe for wood and glass surfaces. 






The end result? The coasters are adorable. I love them in my house and they definitely add a touch of class to the usual boring plastic or wood coaster!


I love that they can be personalized to fit the design of any room and  I think they would make great gifts! Also, now that I have all of the materials purchased, to make a new set all I need to buy are more tiles (at ten cents each) and new scrapbook paper (for usually around a dollar each)! I will definitely be giving these cute coasters out at Christmas and throughout the year (perhaps with a little ribbon holding them together)!

























No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...