Wednesday, May 22, 2013

What I'll Remember

Today is my last day as a sixth grade science teacher...for now that is. :)


I've been at my school for five years. I started my teaching journey here when I was just twenty-two years old. I was a newbie elementary education graduate, terrified of teaching middle school. Now, as I sit in what has become my legendary big purple chair (which has made its way to my house since I have to pack up my entire classroom-which, let me tell you, is a far more emotional job than I had planned), I can't help but reflect on what I'll truly remember from my five years spent as a sixth grade science teacher.


Sure, I'll remember the lessons that I taught, especially the extravagant ones that took extra time, like my journey to the center of the earth, my Earth Day lorax lesson, and dressing up as a metamorphic rock superhero. I'll remember the fantastic teachers that have helped me grow and learn on my journey into education. I'll remember the stressful mornings when the copier wasn't working, when my projector died during Open House, and when my bottled water spilled on my laptop as I was teaching the importance of citing sources.

But mostly...I'll remember the little moments.

I'll remember when 26 eager sixth grade kids dunked diet coke on me during our final lab this year. I felt like their "coach" as they gleefully covered me from head to toe in sticky soda, their faces elated and proud and their laughter echoing through our school parking lot.

I'll remember when an entire gymnasium full of my students, ranging from sixth grade to eighth grade, all sang our, "I Gotta Feelin' About Volcanoes" song in unison during our school Valentine's Party as loud as they could.

I'll remember hugging my students when they lost a family member, and the text message I received one summer that read, "Mrs. Tackett-my dad died today and I know it's summer but I really need you to come to the funeral because I need you." 

I'll remember listening with my first hour class to my computer as a local radio station announced that my fiancee and I were chosen as contestants to win a free wedding of our dreams, and running and screaming down the halls after they announced my name.

I'll remember crying with my sixth hour class as I read my Teacher of the Year speech, and my girls telling me to be sure to wear waterproof mascara that night at the ceremony.

I'll remember when a student showed me his science journal, which he had placed carefully in a binder (using sheet protectors). He told me he wanted to keep it safe forever because he had learned so much from my class that year. He still has it. :)

I'll remember when my students came to my rescue after I dropped a large piece of wood on my foot during my first year of teaching, and helped me get to the nurse (where I discovered that I had broken three of my toes).

I'll remember every musical rehearsal where I got to see kids truly find a place to feel safe at school and feel accepted for exactly who they were.

I'll remember the look of joy on a kiddo's face last year when he realized he had aced his final exam. He later wrote me a card, telling me, "Thanks for not giving up on me."

I'll remember when my students and I laughed for an entire class period about how I wanted a pet velociraptor for Christmas. One of those students gave me a velociraptor of my very own this week. :)


I'll remember my kids teaching me how to dougie and do "the jerk" after school, and laughing at my failed attempts.

I'll remember dancing and rapping about science from the tops of tables, and almost falling over in hysterics as students and teachers from other teams passed by our classroom door.

I'll remember the impromptu birthday parties for me that were thrown, the thoughtful gifts placed delicately on my desk throughout the years, and the hundreds of cards and letters reminding me why I do what I do each and every day.

I'll remember seeing their faces light up when they walked into my classroom.

I'll remember hearing their hilarious questions like, "Can you hashtag a hashtag?" and "Can we stay in your class all day please?"

I'll remember watching friendships start in my room that have lasted through high school.

I'll remember crying with them when we were sad and when I told them that it was my last year at my school.

I'll remember when a student wrote me this note this week: "I look up to you because you are taking a risk. You are going to a whole new grade at a new school. You show us when you're afraid but you always encourage us to go for our dreams, and that is why you are my role model."

I'll remember the hugs. The tears. The "oh I get it now's."

I'll remember that middle schoolers need caring for too, just like elementary and high school kids. They need someone to accept them and excite them about learning. They crave someone who will simply notice them. They aren't scary...most of the time. :) They are indeed at a very special age that deserves the best teachers possible. I can't believe I was ever intimidated by them, and it's been a hard decision leaving a group of kids who definitely need positive people in their lives possibly more than anyone.

Most of all, I'll remember them. All 550 (give or take a few) of them. The kids I have been lucky enough to teach. The students who have taught me more about myself than anyone. The kids who have changed my life forever.



I'll never ever forget them or this moment. And even though I am scared and don't want to let go, I know that in the end everything happens for a reason. As one of my students said this week, it isn't goodbye, it's see you later. I know this for certain: it definitely isn't goodbye.

 

5 comments:

  1. This was so well written. I got choked up several times.
    Thank you for sharing and as I sit in the midst of wanting to strangle some of my 6th grade math kids, I need to remember some of those moments as well! (we still have 7 days!)

    best of luck!
    Elizabeth
    Hodges Herald

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great memories :)
    You have made an impact for sure and so have they!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one about your student's text during the summer is what really got me. WOW.

    I'm excited for you to make a change, but I'm so happy you have these memories- and that you took the time to write them down before you might forget even one. Enjoy your summer!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely trip down memory lane with you and your kids...all 550+. I have had some of the same memories...just with different kiddos and know exactly what you are writing about!

    These children are so special and I enjoy all of my time with them....well most of the time....anyway!

    Good luck with the 5th grade!!!

    Oh Yeah....and thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Dee
    Mrs. B's Nook

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! Check out my new blog at www.elementaryendeavors.weebly.com

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...