Sunday, July 17, 2011

Why Harry Potter Means So Much To Me

   
     This weekend marked a huge milestone in my adult life, as it did for many other adults, teenagers, and kids who grew up Harry Potter fans. This weekend the final film of the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II, premiered to record sales. I have been waiting for this day for the past seven years, and could hardly contain my excitement as the release date grew closer. I, unlike many die hard Potter fans, did not attend the midnight release. Instead, I waited until Saturday so that I could see the film with my wonderful boyfriend Kolby and some of our closest friends. It was, without a doubt, a fantastic conclusion to the series and certainly did the book justice.
     Many people have asked me why people are such huge fans of HP, and why I have invested so much time reading and re-reading the books and enjoying the films. I think it's hard to pinpoint just ONE reason for the success of this series, as it means something entirely different to the individual. So, here's my reasons on why HP has meant so much to me over the past seven years.
      The first time I was introduced to the series was in high school. Kolby worked in our school library for one hour out of his day (basically a free hour because he had so many credits) and began reading them during his time there. He really enjoyed them, but I was dead set against reading them in the beginning. I was never a fan of fantasy fiction like Lord of the Rings so I figured that HP would be boring to me. Then, Kolby took me to see the first two films in the theater on a date. I instantly loved the story and was amazed at how many KIDS were reading these books and watching the films, completely immersed in the characters and story. As a future teacher at the time, I was in awe of seeing so many people truly in love with reading (and if you are a teacher, you know it just doesn't get much better than that)!
     So, I started reading the first four books, which were the only books out at the time. I just couldn't put them down! The plots and characters drew me in, and I was so impressed with how eloquently the stories intertwined with one another. Since I had seen the movies before beginning the books, I already had a vivid picture of the characters, scenes, and voices as well-which can sometimes work against a reader-but not for the HP series.  After reading through Prisoner of Azkaban, I was caught up with reading the books before the film premieres. Kolby and I enjoyed waiting in line for the movies, anxiously discussing which scenes we hoped they would accurately portray. Afterwards, we had a blast referring to our copies of the text to see if the directors and actors got it "just right." Plus, it was great watching films that kept the same actors throughout the series. It was like I was watching the kids grow up before my eyes. After reading the fourth book I was completely addicted. I simply could not WAIT for the next book to come out! I had never been that drawn to a series where the anticipation for a book was greater than any movie, play, or event. Watching the online countdowns on Amazon.com filled me with such excitement and anticipation! After reading the fifth book, Order of the Phoenix, we simply could not wait for the sixth book's release. I remember standing in line with Kolby at midnight for the release of book six. In line, we encountered other die hard fans and discussed our possible predictions. We left with two copies (one for each of us since we both could not wait for the other one to finish before we got the chance to read) and stayed awake through the next morning reading away. It was fun to look over and see what chapter the other one was on. We would comment things like, "Just wait until chapter eleven-oh my gosh!" It truly was a bonding experience that we shared together.
    When the final book came out, we anxiously purchased our usual two copies. I remember reading mine through the night and taking it with me to work the next day at Sports Authority (where I worked in college). I snuck readings in between helping customers, and hid in the back by the camping equipment with my copy. When the book ended, I was so satisfied and couldn't wait to start re-reading the series from start to finish. Every time I read a HP book I discover something new, make another correlation between the books, or have an "oh yeah!" moment for remembering a plot twist that I thought I had forgotten.
   I know I'm dragging on here, but the point is, Harry Potter has been a huge part of my life for the past seven years. I've made friends through this series, grown as a reader, and had so many fun experiences with my boyfriend and friends through these books. I can't remember the last time reading was this fun, or have been so eager for a book's release. It is truly the most well written, complex series that I have ever read (sorry Twilight) and has given me endless joy over these years. I don't expect many people to understand, but for me it has been more than a book series that I enjoyed. It has provided me with experiences that I will never forget and will cherish always. I can't wait to share this series with my kids someday and express how a BOOK can change your life. Thanks Harry, for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...